Da Binding of Isaac topic

Zae

Donkey Kong
Banned User
This includes the original(inferior) version as well as Rebirth.

Story

When Isaac’s Mother starts hearing the voice of God demanding a sacrifice be made to prove her faith, Isaac escapes into the basement facing droves of deranged enemies, lost brothers and sisters, his fears, and eventually his mother.
The Binding of Isaac is a randomly generated action RPG shooter with heavy Rogue-like elements. Following Isaac on his journey players will find bizarre treasures that change Isaac’s form giving him super human abilities and enabling him to fight off droves of mysterious creatures, discover secrets and fight his way to safety.

gameplay

the binding of isaac is a rogue like game that does depend on luck, but comes along with skill to make it through the game.

The game takes a classic legend of zelda style without puzzles anyway, as there are various dungeons unlocking doors with keys, bombing objects, walls, and chests(rebirth).

There are even rooms called treasure rooms where you can get passive or space bar item. As well as various other rooms known as shops, arcades, challenge rooms, and even secret rooms as well as others.

The health system works fairly similar to that of zelda games with the heart container system. The difference here is you can only get hit twice is before you dont have a heart in that container(although later floors beyond depths/necropolis you can get hit and its a single heart damage). There are different hearts as well such as soul hearts which is instant new heart container but cant be refilled. Then we have black hearts, which are rebirth only, they work very similar to soul hearts, but when depleted they damage all enemies in the room. Then finally we have eternal hearts, by collecting two of these can grant a new red heart container. If you collect one and just go to the next floor you'll gain a new red heart container.

How you attack is pretty odd, you shoot with tears from the character(although there are items that do not use tears, such as brimstone and technology). As you progress through the game you can get upgrades, going from damage, rate of fire, and range. There are even ways that tears can be modified by items. Such homing, burn tears, ipec, and many other ways.

There are various items in the game, let's start with the spacebar items.

As you can imagine, space bar items are used by pressing the spacebar(default controls), these can do a variety of things such as use a 4 way brimstone laser, summoning attack flies, or even transforming the player into something else entirely.

Next is passive.

Passive items are very numerous, as they can do a crap ton of things, such as modify tears, stats, and even change the players appearance.

Alot of them help, but there are some that are just bad, mostly depending on the player. Anti-gravy for example is the item that i always skip over.

activated pick ups

these types of items, are contained with cards and pills.

There are various cards such as bomb multiplier, healing items, and many others.

There are pills as well which are entirely random, although once you experience the effect with that pill, you can pick up other pills of the same type(only in one run), and know exactly what it does.

At the end of each dungeon you face against a boss(or multiple) of that dungeon.

id go on since there is a lot of stuff, so tldr: theres a lot of shit in this game, quite literally too.

wikis

http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/The_Binding_of_Isaac_Wiki

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Binding_of_Isaac:_Rebirth_Wiki

alright disscusion go!

the fan theories are actually too good and make so much damn sense

also I made it to mom for the first time last night via seed
sunday I bought rebirth, 1 week ago I made it to the caves, and for 3 months I couldn't get past the basement

my fly ring run with azazel, i had one with isaac too but i cant find the image

P1Xp9ux.png

plan to do some crazy samson runs eventually since i like him the most.

I've got Platinum God in the original and I'm very close to Real Platinum God in Rebirth, just need Meat Boy, Bandage Girl, Stopwatch and a few items I'm missing.

I actually think that Rebirth is worse than the original (!) for a loooot of reasons, mostly related to the fact that the prerelease dev blog said blatant lies about the game and made it sound better than it was, and also because there's far, far more bullshit and randomness in this game than the original

(hi, The Adversary, The Cage, Mega Fatty, Gurglings, The Haunt, and Mama Gurdy). And that's just the new bosses.

Oh, and there's the elephant in the room.

The Lost. The fucking Lost. I hate him. I hate him a lot.

There are a bunch of items added in Rebirth that can ruin your run if you're not careful. Ludovico, Antigravity, Experimental Treatment, Missingno, Dead Onion, Soy Milk, Tiny Planet, Bob's Brain, BFF, Isaac's Heart, and the nerfed-to-hell-and-back Dr. Fetus. Etcetera etcetera.

Pyro said:
There are a bunch of items added in Rebirth that can ruin your run if you're not careful. Ludovico
Ludovico with Azazel for me is a godsend. Honestly, that's the only way I was able to get Mom to half health before dying to some foreign attack, and that's why I stuck with the seed for a second run.

Seeds disable unlocks though. If you unlocked Harbringers, Womb etc. that shouldn't have happened.

Random other thing, I don't like Azazel at all. Since he/she is really overpowered and a ton of synergies don't work as him/her the runs end up being incredibly boring.

honestly pyro i hardly ever encounter the said items you listed and im grateful for that as those items arent very good, so yeah.

Although the planet with azazel isnt too bad

and those bosses i find arent that bad

i actually found

the bloat and mask of infamy are way more of an issue then those, although i dont like seeing the cage

Pyro said:
Seeds disable unlocks though.
lol ik but I found a random one on the internet and went "fuck it"

and yeah, I've only recently been to caves 2 without seed assistance, so I haven't been to the womb just yet

I stopped playing the original game because I could never beat Gurdy and I always got shitty items.

Oh, and the achievements never worked for me either. Maybe one of these years.

Gamefreak75 said:
Oh, and the achievements never worked for me either. Maybe one of these years.
The achievements are bugged in the original - you have to delete the FlashAchievements file in the Steam files and then verify integrity of the game cache. The achievements will unlock on reboot.

Stargazing said:
Gamefreak75 said:
I stopped playing the original game because I could never beat Gurdy and I always got shitty items.
gurdy is absolute pain
I am actually quite surprised by how difficult Gurdy is by being a stationary boss. I can probably avoid Gurdy's blood attacks any day, but the spawns are what kill me every time.

...i have no trouble with gurdy at all.

Gurdy jr. on the other hand can go suck it

Gardevoir said:
Gurdy jr. on the other hand can go suck it
am I the only one who outright does not remember their gurdy jr. fight

like, I remember having a fight but idek what I did

the only bosses I hate with a very passiony passion were dinkle(when i was new at the game) and the haunt(still fucks me up a lot)

mama gurdy isn't that bad tho. at the point you run into the thing you have like a bazillion items to destroy it. and with flying it becomes a total joke, and there are a vast amount of items which grant you the power of flight.

well today was a weird one, i got a rather strange item called isaac's head, but i was also playing as isaac!

dOvmJOG.png

that run sucked, but what sucked even more was the run after

i got brimstone, tammy's head ipec, and varions other items, the only thing i lacked was health.

But that wasnt the problem, i wanted to go to the cathedral after beating it lives, and of course proceed to the chest.

Entered the light from the side and somehow it didnt trigger and ended up and shoel. Beat shoel but of course no chest since it only applies to the cathedral.

Yeah im very angry right now.

Stargazing said:
did you at least get the ending?

i already HAD the ending

the goal was to unlock the d6 by beating ???

Stargazing said:
Gardevoir said:
i already HAD the ending
that sucks, but there isn't much that I can do but suggest you try again

yeah i know

just makes me mad ill have to go through that shit again

So I tried out Cain and Samson earlier today, and I think they're pretty good. Don't know if I like them more than Isaac, though.

Earlier today, I had half a heart in Caves 2 as Azazel. Flew into 8-10 Walking Hosts in the room just before the boss.

Walking Hosts are fucking impossible.

Back