Jolly Roger Bay Theory

This is my first post, so plz don't be a hater. But, I've really been thinking about this for a while, and i've really thought it through.

Jolly Roger Bay is a nice, calm, peaceful level. There's calm music, and a nice feel to it. But, I think it's more than it seems. Let's start out with the room with the painting.
Super+Mario+64+15.jpg

It's much more decorated than most of the other rooms. It has nice carpets and HUGE aquariums, almost like a memorial, or shrine. But that'll make sense later. Next, look at the spikes.
Jolly_Roger_Bay.jpg

Now look at Peach's Castle
Peach's_Castle_-_Overview_-_Super_Mario_64.png

Don't the spikes look almost EXACTLY like the flagpoles?Same shape, too. Basically, my theory is that Jolly Roger Bay is the remains of the old castle. It seems unlikely, but there's a lot of similarities. The bricks in Jolly Roger Bay look like cracked, beaten-up versions of the bricks in Peach's Castle. Heck, there's even the cannon!
1171395-sm64gc6.jpg

Up where the star is on the ledge could be a piece of the broken bridge.
JollyRogerBay.png

But, that's just a theory. A THEORY NOBODY CARES ABOUT! thx for looking though! :D

But

there's so much things different Jolly Roger Bay and Peach Castle have that I highly doubt they have those few, cherry-picked areas will make up an entire inspiration for that.

All the levels you go through were artificially created by Bowser by using the power stars.

My point is that any connection is coincidental. They aren't real locations.

Mcmadness said:
All the levels you go through were artificially created by Bowser by using the power stars.

Can you back up that claim?

Genji said:

"Am I glad to see you! The Princess...and I...and, well, everybody...we're all trapped inside the castle walls. Bowser has stolen the castle's Stars, and he's using their power to create his own world in the paintings and walls. Please recover the Power Stars! As you find them, you can use their power to open the doors that Bowser has sealed. There are four rooms on the first floor. Start in the one with the painting of Bob-omb inside. It's the only room that Bowser hasn't sealed. When you collect eight Power Stars, you'll be able to open the door with the big star. The Princess must be inside!''

Said by the very first toad in the game.

Ok. For some reason I only remembered him saying the line about trapping people inside walls.

No worries, I couldn't remember the exact quote either, had to dig it up, but I did remember that toad mentioned that.

One has to wonder why he would go through the hassle of designing elaborate, thematically consistent worlds like that.

Maybe Bowser secretly dreams of being a game designer/architect and this particular evil plan is a convenient excuse to vent.

Well, ignoring the obvious excuse plot nature of the game. Maybe due to Bowser's newfound power he wanted to experiment and play around with it a bit.

Mcmadness said:
Um clearly Whomp's Fortress is part of Throwback Galaxy :dk:

And galaxy 2 pretty much starts out as it being an alternate story.

Chiaki Nanami said:
Mcmadness said:
Um clearly Whomp's Fortress is part of Throwback Galaxy :dk:
Perhaps when you clear Super Mario 64, it transforms into a memory. Then, when you go to the Throwback Galaxy, it turns into Whomp's Fortress, but with slight changes, similar to Bowser X and the other bosses in the Gauntlet of BiS.

how about this: the game developers didn't give a @#! about continuity and threw in throwback just to appeal to nostalgia

oh no, i'm an imaginative person, but that's how i really saw it in galaxy 2

you know, that damn game with that stupid godawful "story" even for mario standards

Yeah, I know, I didn't mean you in particular (that's why I didn't quote you). It's a comment directed at the state of this sub-forum as a whole.

There's been a recent trend of someone posting a theory, or thought, or whatever, and people immediately shooting it down by saying things along the lines of "It's Mario, there is no thought behind anything, everything is an excuse plot and if you think about it, you're stupid".

Most people really aren't that stupid. They realize Mario is an excuse plot franchise where little thought goes into subtle elements beyond just pure gameplay. But some people like to have a little fun with what little substance there is. They like spinning absurd theories about things that could never in a million years be intentionally designed. The fact that Mario has so little consistency makes it especially interesting, because you can just go wild without contradicting canon, since there is basically none.

If you (general you, not personal you) don't like doing things like that and think it's pointless, that's ok. I respect your decision not to cook up game theories. But it's not necessary to ruin the fun of the people who do. So don't go into theory threads and try to oppress theories, that's just a dick move.

well that's true, but theories like this are open to criticism as well. of course, beyond the obvious "it's mario, so they can do whatever ----".

Yeah, constructive criticism is fine. Things like...

Mcmadness said:
Genji said:

"Am I glad to see you! The Princess...and I...and, well, everybody...we're all trapped inside the castle walls. Bowser has stolen the castle's Stars, and he's using their power to create his own world in the paintings and walls. Please recover the Power Stars! As you find them, you can use their power to open the doors that Bowser has sealed. There are four rooms on the first floor. Start in the one with the painting of Bob-omb inside. It's the only room that Bowser hasn't sealed. When you collect eight Power Stars, you'll be able to open the door with the big star. The Princess must be inside!''

Said by the very first toad in the game.

...pointing out that canon does contradict your theory, for example. That's all perfectly valid.

Back