A 2 part Mario game

supermariofan

Dry Bowser
I think it would be neat if we got a Mario game that ends on a cliffhanger and concludes in the next game, kind of like Metal Gear Solid 5

SMG2 lol, even though its not really a cliffhanger.

I hate cliff hanger endings in video games so no.

Its called a waste of my damn time, finish the story in the first game or don't bother.

Had I actually played it when it was new, no I probably wouldn't have.

I wouldn't mind seeing them doing something of a trilogy where the stories connect for a grand finale of the plot over a direct sequel that feels like the same plot over and over again

No

Just look what happened at Half-Life 2

wouldnt really matter

mario games in general dont really have impacting stories to begin with

Magikrazy said:
Maybe something like Sonic 3 & Knuckles would be fine

Yeah if they made multi-part games. They should have at least a bit of an incentive like Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Sonic and Knuckles did. You got to play as Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 levels as well as Sonic & Tails or Tails only in Sonic and Knuckles levels. That's the only way it can really work.

As otherwise, Mario just isn't story oriented enough to have a game that has a cliffhanger into another game.

supermariofan said:
Mcmadness said:
Why not? They keep you in suspense for what's gonna happen in the next game? It's called tension
The fuck's the tension in a mario game?
We know how the story ends Mario rescues the Princess

Enzo said:
supermariofan said:
Mcmadness said:
Why not? They keep you in suspense for what's gonna happen in the next game? It's called tension
The *bleep*'s the tension in a mario game?
We know how the story ends Mario rescues the Princess
With some Shyamalan like twists...but a little more twisty than Kamek dressed up as Peach

Cliffhangar endings in games really shouldn't be done. There's always the chance it'll never happen.

Example from Mario's old rival. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, released in 2008, is an RPG. It ended in a cliffhangar and no sequel was ever made, and won't be made.

The Mega Man X series has been dangling on a cliffhangar since X8 in 2004. Legends is even worse. Legends 2 ended with a cliffhangar in the year 2000.

So, while the idea is cool, it has backfired before. Also, it would imply that they would have stories even more complex than the current RPGs, which is unlikely.

I'm against any two part games no matter the franchise, teasing sequels at the end is good but entire game split into two parts is very outdated and unnecessary. So my answer to this is obvious.

edit: cheers magikrazy

This idea would imply that Mario games (that aren't RPGs) have great stories....but that's not the case.

Also what would the cliffhanger be? " Find out next game of Bowser kidnaps Peach on a Tuesday or a Wednesday!" Because face it, we know Mario is going to win in the end.

Mechayoshi said:
This idea would imply that Mario games (that aren't RPGs) have great stories....but that's not the case.

Also what would the cliffhanger be? " Find out next game of Bowser kidnaps Peach on a Tuesday or a Wednesday!" Because face it, we know Mario is going to win in the end.
Something terrible happens in the Mushroom Kingdom?

Mario thinks he saved Peach, but it turns out to be a fake and the real villain happens to be Wario! Until next time?

Dr. Mario's Drunken Holiday Elixir said:
Mario thinks he saved Peach, but it turns out to be a fake and the real villain happens to be Wario! Until next time?
Yes! But not Wario maybe someone a little more serious

The Wario was kind of a small joke.

Hmm, that kind of thing would actually be good in one game. Maybe a Mario game split into two discs, lol?

I'm thinking this particular Mario game should have an epic storyline, the "Bowser kidnaps princess" story is part of it but a little more than just that.

Back