Competitive Super Smash Bros.

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
Let's talk about the competitive scene of Super Smash Bros. As many of you know, Smash has a massive competitive following and Melee played at the highest level is truly a sight to behold.

Here's a bit of news.
http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/10/apex-2015-powered-by-twitch/

Twitch is sponsoring Apex so make sure to watch that in January. I'm pretty sure all Smash games will be there. That means 64, Melee, Brawl, Project M, and SSB4. It's gon be gud.

For those who are curious about the scene, check out this documentary. It's very long but so worth your time.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoUHkRwnRH-IXbZfwlgiEN8eXmoj6DtKM

Have anyone entered any smash bros tournaments?

I have visited 4 and entered 3 of them in the fall

No, but I did enter local tournaments. I don't know if they're actually tournaments. There was a Barlw one at Gamestop, another Barlw one at my high school. I placed quite highly in high school, but I got 1st at the Gamestop one. I used Mario in both cases.

Didn't Project M got omitted in one tourney? Or something like that?

My college have very huge smash bros tournament area.

My college actually host monthly tournaments with PM, Melee, SSB4 Wii U and there is 15 TV with 50-60 entrants,

I got last place in all tournaments and I'm extremely very good in SSB4 but those people are experts in smash bros so I got 0-3 stock in SSB4 by Ike, Pac-Man and Jigglypuff. The charge for the tournament is about $5-15 depending on the locations.

Well, you say you're extremely good, but you think you can get better in Smush? What's getting you all the time?

I wonder how well these people play.

They use lot of air attacks and combos which I lack of

My college use twitch to stream the tournaments every time

Ooo yeah, you got to take advantage of short hops and aerial attacks. But especially aerial attacks. Aerial attacks provide much more options for starters.

Aerials are essential to all characters but some characters like Jigglypuff who have good air mobility require most of the game to be played in the air.

How about Ness?

Huh, I guess if you're Little Mac, aerials aren't THAT important. I never used Little Mac, though, but it seems like they emphasized on his lacking air game.

Ness needs to use aerials and grabs (especially his back grab) to function, with a bit of PK Fire here and there.

GalacticPetey said:
Yeah. Little Mac should always try to stay on the ground.

Wouldn't that severely limit his option? He's damn good at the ground, but if he can't follow up properly, then he can't really function.

Well, dang, I can't imagine Little Mac being a really good character. Considering his pretty awful recovery, he's at a major disadvantage once he gets thrown off the ledge.

I wonder how the tier list is going to be like this generation. :P

But he also super armor and his smashes are really strong. He's a really easy character to punish, but he seems like he'll be that character that people who play casually bitch about. Kind of like Pikachu's down b or Kirby's down b.

Mario Party X said:
Well, dang, I can't imagine Little Mac being a really good character. Considering his pretty awful recovery, he's at a major disadvantage once he gets thrown off the ledge.

I wonder how the tier list is going to be like this generation. :P
Probably close to this.
S: Diddy Kong

A: (Above) Sheik, Yoshi, zero suit Samus, fighting Mii;

(Middle) Lucario, Sonic, Fox;

(Below) the villagers;

B: (Above) RosaLuma, Wario;

(Bottom) Ness, pit;

C: (Above) Captain Falcon, R.O.B, Pac-Man, Luigi, shooting Mii, Pikachu, Dedede, Greninja;

(Bottom) Duck Hunt, Bowser, Mega Man, Mario, Little Mac, black pit, Peach;

D: (Above) Puff, Meta Knight;

(Middle) Shulk, Toon Link, Bowser Jr .;

(Bottom) Palutena, Robin, Falco, Donkey Kong, Mr. Game & Watch, Kirby;

E: (Above) Ike, WiiFit trainer, link, Olimar, Zelda;

(Middle) Charizard, Marth, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Lucina, Samus;

(Below) swordsmanship Mii;

I feel like the tier list is outdated. There's a thread I've seen that talked about tourney wins, and it doesn't really reflect that tier list.

Yeah, that list is outdated. Besides, lists are always changing. Older Melee lists had Jigglypuff down really low and Zelda really high, and we all know how inaccurate that is.

FUCK I missed Beast 5 singles because I fell asleep and Leffen won, I really wanted to see that, it would have been so amazing to watch live ;(

2015: Year of Leffen

Leffen is my favourite player to cheer for. Z I P B O Y S

Nysic said:
I still find it hard to believe that Yoshi is top-tier material in this game
I find it hard to believe Mario and Ness's tourney standings.

And that Mii Swordfighter is almost unanimously bottom of every tier list.

Maki Nishikino said:
FUCK I missed Beast 5 singles because I fell asleep and Leffen won, I really wanted to see that, it would have been so amazing to watch live ;(

2015: Year of Leffen

Leffen is my favourite player to cheer for. Z I P B O Y S
It'll be fun to watch him get wrecked by Chillen.

Back