Modding Brawl

Lee Chaolan

Oh, excellent!
So I'm gonna finally come around to hack brawl, but I'm just unsure as to whether I'm doing it right. (And yes, I have read this explanation) I've got my 3DS's old 2GB SD Card, Gecko, HackMii and Smash Stack. I plan on sticking my SD Card and loading the menu from stage builder with Smash Stack as it seems to be the safest option. My SD Card is completely ready to go, and can easily install homebrew channel. What I do after that to make hacks I have no idea.

I want to get this done in about two weeks time during the short holidays. So, any help?

Re: Hacking Brawl

Once I get access to a working computer ill guide you. I am NOT going to type.detailed.instructions on a ---Ty phone keyboard

So you may get help from.me tonight or.tomorrow ok?

Oh if anyone else wanna help they can do so.as.well

Hey thanks. I get most of the process, but there are just slight things that I need more explanation on. Btw, are the chances of bricking the Wii basically impossible?

While using the Smash Stack route? Pretty much. I don't think there was a single report of that happening

Btw when I said "tonight" I mean PDT of course

I know for sure Project M has a Mr. L skin and Dry Bowser skin. You can get Project M to have like a full pack without some features (Adventure mode, Tournaments)

If you don't want Project M then I don't think I can help too much as I don't know much about Brawl hacking. If I remember there's also an automatic update launcher thing as well.

I'm PAL, so really don't care for Project M except for the fact that you can still get the costumes and stuff unless it gets a PAL release, which will never happen.

Actually, does being PAL affect anything in hacking aside from Smash Stack?

There's a completely different data partition than there is for NTSC (not gonna link it here because it fringes on copyright). I'm not sure if .rels are different and stuff though...usually hacks that tell you they won't work with PAL versions probably don't know.

So if I've got the SD Card ready to make hacks (I do, but haven't installed Homebrew on my Wii, I'll do that during the holidays), how do I add the actual hacks into the SD Card?

your folder destination for hacks should be like this

private\wii\app\rsbp\pf\fighter\luigi

BOLDED: my original name is RSBE but that's because it's NTSC. I'm certain it's rsbp for pal versions

where the "luigi" folder is where you place your hacks in (named as FitLuigi00.pac and so on, it's all in the link you provided in your original post)

I used a replica of my pre-existing Wii data, but without the replays, pics and stages.

So do I really just place the files there? It's that simple? Nothing else to do?

Yeah that's basically it. You also need to use a loader (Gecko OS or Riivolution) for your homebrew app and those have specific stuff to do but generally, that's the typical file destination for universal stuff.

If you run into problems you can either bump this thread or PM me (I recommend you bump it since it could aid other users who also might have trouble installing Brawl stuff into their games)

So, how do I work Gecko? Or do you think it would be better idea to work that out later?

You can just download the Gecko OS app and put it in your apps folder in the SD card root

Ok, so is that my SD Card done and ready to go? If it is, I'll probably bump this thread in a week or two when I actually do stuff to my Wii.

Yeah please do

It would be much easier to find and correct problems in a step-by-step process than putting it all together and hoping it might work

So I'm likely gonna "hack" a Wii pretty soon. I'm fine in setting up the actual hacks for characters or stages, it's the other stuff I haven't done yet (like the Code Mananger).

Aside from the 1-999 chance in bricking the Wii, can any other types of damage be done to it?

Ninelevendo said:
Aside from the 1-999 chance in bricking the Wii, can any other types of damage be done to it?

No

If you formatted stuff incorrectly, you'll be greeted by an obnoxious BEEEEEP noise, which is easily corrected by renaming/reformatting/deleting whatever is causing that problem in the first place. It's just a patch, so you can easily remove it as you can add it to your game.

Which Boot.elf file do I use? And once I'm on the Wii, is it a good idea to install BootMii?

Use SmashStack. I recommend it.

it's recommended to install BootMii but not required

Smash Stack counts as a Boot.elf or does it come with one?

What does BootMii do anyway?

I'll boot up my computer now so I can stop asking so many dumb questions when it's on.

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Smash_Stack

BootMii is a set of software that can be installed on Nintendo Wii© consoles to provide added functionality, safety and convenience.

BootMii for Users:

BootMii is a piece of software that can be installed as an IOS or inserted into the boot process. As an IOS, it provides a fast way to back up your Wii's internal NAND flash memory, and will eventually form the basis of a new generation of homebrew applications for the Wii. Inserted into the boot process, BootMii provides you with a "safety net" -- you can back up your entire Wii to SD in under three minutes! If you were to brick your Wii, BootMii would still run and let you restore your backup from SD, quickly and painlessly. BootMii also allows you to directly boot The Homebrew Channel or other homebrew from SD, bypassing the "warning screen" and the rest of the menu.

Coders:

You will have full access to both processors inside the Wii, and can inject code anywhere into the boot process. Want to write your own system menu? Stick it on your SD card and boot it. BootMii is powered by USBGecko -- as with the Homebrew Channel before it, you can upload code and run it via USBGecko. With BootMii, you can upload code to either processor a few seconds after poweron.

Get BootMii!

The BootMii Installer will always be available for free for download and personal use on our Downloads page. Parts of BootMii are open-source software, and will be available from our public git repository once we're done setting it up.

I have a PAL File Patch code for the code manager, and i think its added correctly. (Might want to double check)

Other than that, am I ready to go?

Pretty much

I did it! Problem is that Gecko will not load :/ Trying Riivolution instread, but I can't work out the File Patch XML because "downloading" it takes me to a screen with writing on it.

Back