Some dumb idea I had for a new Mario Kart battle mode

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
Mario Kart 8 uses the regular race courses instead of dedicated arenas for its battle mode, and it kind of sucks. However, it did make me think about what a racing-focused battle mode in Mario Kart should the series stick in that direction and I decided to type out the resulting brainfart because hey, why not.

The inspiration
fullauto.jpg

Full Auto 2 is a launch PS3 title and a game I like to call "Dudebro Mario Kart", though it’s really more Twisted Metal meets Burnout. It's a racing game where the cars are weaponized - you can mount up to 2 weapons from an array of both offensive (machine guns, rockets, etc) and defensive (smoke engine, mines) option which can be used at will during the races. Scoring is purely based on your race placements (although a counter of opponents gunned down is kept) and competitors respawn immediately upon destruction. In addition to the racing mode, there's also a more traditional Twisted Metal-esque arena mode where the focus is purely on gunning down opponents in closed maps.

Full Auto 2 won't be used as a case study in game design for anything, but it is a damned fun car combat game that could provided some pointer should Mario Kart decide to stick with race tracks for battle mode. Like…

Whatev, nerd. How would it work?

The battle mode would be similar to the regular race setup (including scoring being based on race placement), but with the following tweaks to encourage combat;

• Instead of items randomly being awarded when picking up ? boxes, each player choose from two items among both offensives and defensive options before the racer start. Items like the crazy 8, blue shell and lightning do not appear in this mode.
  • Weapons no longer stun - instead, each racer has an health bar, which is based on the Kart’s frame. When depleted, the kart is “destroyed” and the racer respawn. Weapon damage is balanced by their properties – red shells do less damage than green shells to compensate for homing and fake item boxes do less damage than bob-ombs.
  • The primary and secondary weapons have separate slots and use buttons. Each slots has differently-coloured ? boxes and the player can stock multiple uses of a weapon by driving through ? boxes (the number of uses that can be stocked depend on the individual weapon). Stacked, Double-Dash style ? boxes add one use to both slots.
  • Mushrooms do not appear in this mode. The Starman is now a separate powerup that automatically activates once picked up.
  • Course obstacles do damage and stun the player.
  • Contact with other racers doesn’t do damage in itself but pushing them into walls does.

obviously this could use some fleshing out, but it’s a start. What do y’all think?

That actually sounds pretty good, and also puts some strategy into Battle Mode as well.

I really like this idea. But please, they should also use dedicated battle.arenas for.combat as well. But I would most. Certainly welcome this idea

Baby Luigi said:
I really like this idea. But please, they should also use dedicated battle.arenas for.combat as well. But I would most. Certainly welcome this idea

I didn't feel the need to mention it since it's really a "what if", but yes! Any future MK mode should have the traditional arena setup - anything beside that is gravvy.

i'm sorry for bad punctuation in my above post if it made things confusing

electricity sensitive touch screens are stupid as sht when it comes to typing things

btw, what if there are dedicated tracks built AROUND your entire concept?

-"Regular" race tracks with weapon capsules in risky/hard-to-reach corners.

-Setpiece-heavy point-to-point races that can't be lapped.

-Narrow, intense circuits where everything is trying to kill you. Think F-Zero GX track design combined with Mario Kart weapons.

Hmmm, I'd be up for a car combat spinoff of Mario Kart suddenly...

How about make EACH car have its own sets of attributes? You start in a basic car, but you can get out of the car and ride in other ones ala Kirby Air Ride. You start in a basic Go-kart, but you can hop out, run around, and climb into a tank or something? Random cars spawn in several places, and you can swap out vehicles that are low on health and other things.

Yeah but what Glowsquid is proposing is much more centered around combat to maintain your position than Kirby Air Ride

Maᴙio said:
How about make EACH car have its own sets of attributes? You start in a basic car, but you can get out of the car and ride in other ones ala Kirby Air Ride. You start in a basic Go-kart, but you can hop out, run around, and climb into a tank or something? Random cars spawn in several places, and you can swap out vehicles that are low on health and other things.

That's basically the entire gist of City Trial. Perhaps have more changes than a City Trial clone.

Baby Luigi said:
Yeah but what Glowsquid is proposing is much more centered around combat to maintain your position than Kirby Air Ride

Maᴙio said:

That's basically the entire gist of City Trial. Perhaps have more changes than a City Trial clone.
It's basically City Trial but with a more combat focus rather than gathering powerups for an event.

So not really a City Trial clone.

Maᴙio said:
Baby Luigi said:

Maᴙio said:

It's basically City Trial but with a more combat focus rather than gathering powerups for an event.

So not really a City Trial clone.
In Air Ride mode (race mode, for non-Kirby Air Ride players) you had the option of turning on HP.

Yeah we knew that. As I said, what Glowsquid said has a stronger combat emphasis than health in racing in Kirby Air Ride

I'd like it to be like something from the F-Zero series.

How does the F-Zero system even work for battle mode?

Anyway, funny how I was starting to be interested in Blur right before this thread was bumped.

Magikrazy said:
The Ultimate Pwwnd123 said:
I'd like it to be like something from the F-Zero series.
What was F-Zero's battle mode?

F-Zero X has a "death battle" mode where the goal is to kill all the other competitors. No ranged weapons though.

Mario Kart: Death Drome edition

TheFarmboy said:
I would only accept the name if it's a satire.
It doesn't matter how actually serious Nintendo would be about it, I'd still view it as tongue-in-cheek.

Back