Will you get Amiibo?

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
I don't particularly want one, but if there's a character I really like for Smash I may get one. But personally I think it'd be a lot more fun to simply play the game myself.

Only for my favorite characters

I most likely will buy at least a few of them.

Since it's been revealed that they will go for $10-15 USD, that means some could go up to $30 in Australia which is straight up ridiculous. So yeah, only for my favorite characters.

You know, I remember when we paid forty, fifty dollars for a game and that was all there was to it. A few companies (in my memory, Blizzard with Warcraft III) would actually release patches that sometimes had extra content. For free!

Now you pay $60 for a game and have to pay extra for more stuff in your game. It's outrageous.

Stuff like this is why I wait to buy games until they're cheap, and why I didn't buy the DLC for Skyrim (why would you even need it? I'm not even close to exploring all the content in that game).

This figurine stuff is the worst, though. You pay at least ten dollars for one character, one upgrade to one character. That's just absurd.

It's almost as bad as TF2 hats.

Viridi said:
Stuff like this is why I wait to buy games until they're cheap, and why I didn't buy the DLC for Skyrim (why would you even need it? I'm not even close to exploring all the content in that game).

skill tree for one of the transformations in the game, a better transformation, the ability to block out the sun/turn it into a weapon, better shouts, a summonable undead horse, raising children, more houses, non-Nord housecarl, better weapons, better armor, bigger area to explore

I might get Amiibo. Not sure yet.

Viridi said:
You know, I remember when we paid forty, fifty dollars for a game and that was all there was to it. A few companies (in my memory, Blizzard with Warcraft III) would actually release patches that sometimes had extra content. For free!

Now you pay $60 for a game and have to pay extra for more stuff in your game. It's outrageous.

This figurine stuff is the worst, though. You pay at least ten dollars for one character, one upgrade to one character. That's just absurd.

It's almost as bad as TF2 hats.
icflloU.jpg

Mario4Ever said:
Viridi said:
skill tree for one of the transformations in the game, a better transformation, the ability to block out the sun/turn it into a weapon, better shouts, a summonable undead horse, raising children, more houses, non-Nord housecarl, better weapons, better armor, bigger area to explore
Sure, but I still haven't finished all the content in Skyrim vanilla.

When (if? it's a lot) I finish that, then I might be interested, although at that point I'll probably have bought more games with my money (steam sale!)

I don't have a Wii U, so no.

If I do get one, though, then never because I have better things to throw my money around for.

Viridi said:
Amiibos are entirely optional.

And they don't really add that much to (Smash) gameplay because they're just AI.

Ultimately though, it's still locking away a feature behind a (physical) paywall, as minimal as it is. Games like Armored Core Silent Line had an AI training mode playable without needing to shell out more bucks for an add-on. There's no real pratical reason the AI leveling up would require the figurines to work.

(if AI traning isn't locked to amiibos in smash, disregard this post)

So I know I could just google it, but for the benefit of everyone else who is just as clueless as me, I'm gonna ask: What exactly is an Amiibo?

Seadramon said:
So I know I could just google it, but for the benefit of everyone else who is just as clueless as me, I'm gonna ask: What exactly is an Amiibo?

Nintendo's Skylanders

Ok, that left me just as clueless as before, so I guess I'm going to google it after all.

So what I've gathered from that is that an Amiibo is a figurine that you put chips in, which allow you to make the character level up by playing games with them in them. And by leveling up your figurine you somehow affect the character in game as well.

That sounds very gimmicky.

I'm basically trying to give an explanation in a nutshell.

Besides, we don't know the other functions in other games. I'm sure Mario Kart 8 and Yoshi's Wooly World will have different functions than the level up thing.

the one good thing about amiibo is that it seems like they may be compatible with multiple games, so maybe i can use my mario figurine with mario kart 8 AND smash

otherwise, no no no no

I want them. I'll get every fucking amiibo they'll make. I'll ESPECIALLY get the entire Super Smash Bros. roster once they release that!

I mean, unless they release amiibos for something crappy, like how Disney made The Lone Ranger figures for Disney Infinity, I'll probably skip out on that, but otherwise, yeah, I'm totally down with that!

Back