Super Mario Maker

Cirdec

Celestial Guide
New Mario game revealed at e3, you make your own levels and play them. Talk about this game.

Re: Mario Maker

You beat me to it Cirddec.

This program coming out in a year or so will let you build costume levels that you can customize and edit. It looks like you can edit and test it out and it will appear SMB like, but then you can play it and looks more like the NSMB style.

I am so excited for this. I love making customable levels. I could literally use this for hours and hours and hours.

It looks so awesome, but there will probably be quite a few limitations.

So for the moment it shows that we can choose only two styles: the Super Mario Bros. one and the New Super Mario Bros. U one. But I actually hope you can put the new ennemies from the Wii U game, but I am not sure since they don't exist in the NES game.
Also I hope we can get more graphics styles, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, etc.

This game definitely needs multiplayer and online to have fun on our own levels.

Meh I'm not expecting much from this customization.

i don't know. i mean, making mario levels would be great, but you can already do it on a computer anyway. also, it definitely shouldn't be a retail release, unless they include a full campaign in it.

When the trailer voice went "Congratulations" he sounded really sarcastic.

I'm actually looking forward to this, even if I'm not the most creative person in that kind of area

It's lacking a lot of features from what we've seen in the trailer which would explain the 2015 release, such as the lack of slopes and vertical scrolling, basically anything not already in Mario 1, which to be fair is basically the minimal requirements in any Mario level creator, but then you look at this screen:
Mario_Maker_NSMBU.png

Since switching to NSMBU graphics is just a 1:1 conversion it makes for some graphical oddities such as gaps in the terrain as you see, though there's still a lot of time so I expect at least these minor details being fixed to an extent.

But either way I'm at least really interested in how this game is going to turn out, definitely a day 1 purchase.

inb4 features from other games end up being DLC.

SKmarioman said:
Since switching to NSMBU graphics is just a 1:1 conversion it makes for some graphical oddities such as gaps in the terrain as you see, though there's still a lot of time so I expect at least these minor details being fixed to an extent.

But either way I'm at least really interested in how this game is going to turn out, definitely a day 1 purchase.

inb4 features from other games end up being DLC.
It's just an E3 demo. Maybe they could reveal more. (SMB3,World,NSMB,NSMBW and NSMB2)

Baby Luigi said:
Meh I'm not expecting much from this customization.

It's obviously not the Reggie Level Editor's successor, since you have a lot less limitations with making your own New Super Mario Bros. Wii courses. Your course making options appear to be very limited for the Mario Maker, though that may be subject to change near release.

It's obvious the game is in very early development, lots of elements are missing: water, lava, ennemies, powerups, etc.
I see no reason it would not be complete enough to recreate all the Super Mario Bros. series levels.

Exactly, I doubt that would be the full customization capabilities if it's being released in 2015.

I've kind of noticed how they got away with basically making another NSMB game, except for that they don't even have to built the courses anymore. They just give us the tools, and we're basically making a NSMBU2.

But I actually don't mind it since at least we get to have fun making this stuff and we do have the classic version mode which is definitely going to be tons of fun.

You know, I actually had this same idea about six, seven years ago back in middle school (or maybe elementary school? it was a while). Of course, at the time I had no idea of balance so I was basically suggesting that one player build the stage with false floors and other stuff that would basically be super cheap and then Mario would never win, but I had the same exact concept.

I distinctly remember drawing it on the back of one of those fast food paper things they put on the tray, although that's probably been thrown away by now.

Back