So I almost died a few days ago

Lord Bowser

listen
Banned User
Like the title says, I came close to dying a few days ago, just after Mother's Day, which explains my absence lately. Here's the story;

So my friends and I were walking and talking during lunch at school on Monday (5/12) and we walked by a blossoming cherry tree. That cherry tree just happened to contain an oddly quiet hive of bees, which I am severely allergic to. So one of the bees got near us, and I started to run away as fast as I could, but it was no use; the damn thing stung me in the right arm. I went to the nurse, and told her I got stung by it and that I'm allergic to them, and she says that it doesn't look too bad and that I shouldn't worry about it, so I didn't. Obviously that was a mistake.

Nothing happened for a while, but during 6th period (about 2 hours after lunch) I noticed my arm getting all tingly. The sting site also got a lot bigger, from the size of a smalll pimple to a quarter, and I had a rash around it too. I went to the nurse again, and she said I was developing an allergic reaction to the bee venom, so she called the hospital and my parents. That was when the scary stuff started happening. My right arm went completely numb and I felt dizzy and nauseous. I barely remember the ride to the hospital. According to my doctor, I blacked out almost as soon as I got to the hospital, and my vitals went haywire. I had a 104° fever, my heart rate was at 125 beats per minute, and I was in anaphylactic shock. I was given an emergency shot of epinephrine and my vitals started stablizing, but my doctors put me in a coma for two days to be safe. I woke up on Thursday at 2 in the afternoon. My arm hurt like living hell, but my doctors said that the worst was over. I wasn't released until Saturday, when my doctors were absolutely certain that the sting wouldn't get infected, and they gave me a note saying that I was to rest and not go to school for a week. They also gave me an epi-pen for emergencies.

Right now I'm totally fine. My sting site still hurts a little though, and my parents want to sue the school because apparently they knew about the hive beforehand, and just didn't say or do anything about it. I wonder how that'll go.

Why the fuck the school had a bee hive in a tree I don't know. You were lucky you didn't get stung in the face or anything. Also, the bee may have stung you because you tried to run away.

Xanthium said:
Why the fuck the school had a bee hive in a tree I don't know. You were lucky you didn't get stung in the face or anything. Also, the bee may have stung you because you tried to run away.
Well, just standing there wouldn't have done much good either, plus since I'm allergic to them I'm scared of them, so... yeah.

Well, I kinda understand that, because I once ran like hell away from a hornet near my ear. How big was the hive?

Bee hives are really dangerous, I once got a huge 20 cm hornet hive back in my grandparents home. We had to call the fire brigade to get rid of it. I also have a friend that's allergic to cheese, he will do a reaction similar to yours.

Xanthium said:
Bee hives are really dangerous, I once got a huge 20 cm hornet hive back in my grandparents home. We had to call the fire brigade to get rid of it. I also have a friend that's allergic to cheese, he will do a reaction similar to yours.
Hornet/wasp hives are tiny compared to bee hives. Those can get up to 6 feet (~2 meters) across.

I once had a bee land on my hand, and I think it tried pollinating me.

When I was three, I idiotically swatted at a swarm of bees. It resulted in me fleeing to my house crying.

Ok, so how incompetent is that nurse? If someone approaches you with a bee sting and tells you they are allergic to bee venom, you don't just send them away and you don't tell them it's nothing and it'll be fine. That's like the dumbest thing you can do in that situation. Absolutely poor conduct. Inexcusable.

If this had happened to me, I'd file a complaint against her. This case of unthinkable carelessness could have been lethal, and one should be able to expect at least some knowledge from a member of the medical staff.

EDIT: Somehow I missed the line about sueing the school. I guess that would work too. Any way, good luck. Hopefully they'll be forced to compensate you for their collective neglect and incompetence.

Wow, scary. Glad you're okay.

Seadramon said:
Ok, so how incompetent is that nurse? If someone approaches you with a bee sting and tells you they are allergic to bee venom, you don't just send them away and you don't tell them it's nothing and it'll be fine. That's like the dumbest thing you can do in that situation. Absolutely poor conduct. Inexcusable.
That was my reaction too.

Bees are scary. I usually just give them the stink eye until they leave or sort of fast-walk to safety.

We had a whole hive of bees fly around us during a school assembly. It was kind of chill, they just flew above us and didn't sting anybody. The next minute they were gone. I was both terrified and fascinated.

I don't know why I rambled, I'm glad you're safe now. That nurse is a fucking moron.

Hope your school nurse gets the fucking sack for that shit. Who in their right mind wouldn't treat a bee sting as something really serious when you already told her you were allergic?

Seadramon said:
EDIT: Somehow I missed the line about sueing the school. I guess that would work too. Any way, good luck. Hopefully they'll be forced to compensate you for their collective neglect and incompetence.

Having a bee hive in school. Having a bad nurse.

3D Player 2004 said:
Pyro said:
When I was three, I idiotically swatted at a swarm of bees. It resulted in me fleeing to my house crying.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I think the Nurse just hated you and wanted you to die, the school wouldn't be stupid enough to hire an incompetent nurse. For that reason, don't sue the school, just solely focus on suing the Nurse, the Nurse severely wronged you and also was the only one to wrong you.
Nah, should sue both. Nurse gets the sack, he gets lotsa school money. :b

I wonder how many school nurse malpractice cases have been around.

Impossible, if she was that bad as a nurse, she wouldn't be one. Mabye she never saw the symptoms of severe allergy cases.
Pink Gold Fanta said:
3D Player 2004 said:
Pyro said:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I think the Nurse just hated you and wanted you to die, the school wouldn't be stupid enough to hire an incompetent nurse. For that reason, don't sue the school, just solely focus on suing the Nurse, the Nurse severely wronged you and also was the only one to wrong you.
Nah, should sue both. Nurse gets the sack, he gets lotsa school money. :b

I wonder how many school nurse malpractice cases have been around.
One at my school was fired for forcibly outting desinfectant one someone's hands despite him telling her that he's allergic.

Normally I love all animals, including bugs. I won't hurt them, I simply cannot. I'll eat meat, but only if it's been killed by someone else, I simply cannot kill animals, simple as that.

But when they piss me off, or try to hurt me? They will not get away alive. Take thursday night as an example. I went on a pub crawl, and had to go around looking for my friend. As I turned the corner, a Seagull swooped and dropped a steaming pile of crap on me. Sufficive to say, I was not happy. I hunted down and broke that bird into a million pieces.

My point is, that if a bee or a wasp tries to sting you, you go destroy that fucker. Seriously, it does not deserve to live, especially when it puts you in a life threatening situation. You hunt down that bee and you show it who's boss!

Even if you don't get the chance to put that bee six feet closer to hell, I wish you luck in suing the school and/or the teacher. They should not get away with this.

Bees don't start fights. They simply just sting people who threaten them, well sometimes they sting someone else, but either way, they are threatened when they sting. However, I can trust that you didn't intentionally instigate the fight because nobody who was allergic would do that.

Иeptune said:
My point is, that if a bee or a wasp tries to sting you, you go destroy that *bleep*er. Seriously, it does not deserve to live, especially when it puts you in a life threatening situation. You hunt down that bee and you show it who's boss!
If it was a honeybee, she would die soon after.

Back