Big Hero 6 (Walt Disney Animation Studios movie)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
So yeah, the studio that made Frozen and Wreck-It Ralph, as well as all those classic Disney movies you remember watching as a kid, are making an adaptation of a Marvel comic (and no, I'm fairly certain that this is NOT going to be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe).

From what I've gathered, the story takes place in the fictional world of "San Fransokyo, and is going to focus on a kid named Hiro Hamada, a robotic prodigy, who hangs out with his brother Tadashi and four like-minded friends of his, GoGo Tamago, Wasabi, Honey Lemon and Fred. They get wrapped up in some kind of evil plot or something, and Hiro uses his robot buddy, Baymax, to form a team with his friends and save the day.

Teaser trailer came out a few days ago, featuring Hiro and who I assume is Baymax:

Okay, not to familiar with the comic Big Hero 6, but... what's with that robot? It doesn't look very mechanical... not to mention, it seems more like a living marshmallow then anything. Is that in the comic?

Also, I would think Marvel's name would be on this, even thought it's only based on a Marvel comic and not actually being made by Marvel Studios.

Either way, it looks nice. It's definitely a lot more appealing then Frozen's teaser trailer (but then again, Frozen turned out spectacular, so who knows).

In addition, T. J. Miller has been cast as Fred and Jamie Chung as GoGo Tomago. Maya Rudolph is also in the movie, though I don't know who.

It's interesting to note that in the comic, the Silver Samurai is part of the group (I think), but he doesn't appear to be in this movie. He was in the last Wolverine movie, so maybe only Fox can put him in movies at this point...

Either way, this all sounds really interesting and I look forward to seeing more!

It looks quite cool. Somewhat interesting, having Disney make a very Japanese-inspired movie.

Tee hee, "San Fransokyo".

not really expecting a spectacular film, but it has potential

though knowing disney it'll screw up all the japanese influence

I think the robot is meant to serve for medical purposes, so that's why it's just big and soft-looking.

With my experience with IMDb, I typically don't trust a lot of what they say, because it can quite frequently be misinformation.

supermariofan said:
It better be because I'm sick of Samuel L.Jackson
You can never have enough Samuel L. Jackson! Unless it's in Star Wars, in which case... ehhh?

Smashgoom202 said:
supermariofan said:

You can never have enough Samuel L. Jackson! Unless it's in Star Wars, in which case... ehhh?
My problem with him is that he always plays the same guy over and over and over and over and over and OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!!!!! And I'm sick of it!

supermariofan said:
Smashgoom202 said:
supermariofan said:

My problem with him is that he always plays the same guy over and over and over and over and over and OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!!!!! And I'm sick of it!
wat

First trailer is out.

...eh. It's not really making any impressions, so I guess I feel neutral? It's really standing out that all of the characters look the same. I know they've been doing this for years, but by the fourth movie it's really standing out how everyone has the same skin tones and noses and eyes and hands and stuff, with slight adjustments and some clothes to help them stand out. The villain looks cool, though.

Also, I guess I was expecting this to look more Japanese-inspired? I guess San Fransokyo works well as a blend of America and Japan, but everything else (like the visual style) seems decidedly American. I don't know if this was different in the comic, maybe I was just getting my hopes too high for them to make a Japanese-inspired movie. Using Fall Out Boy certainly doesn't make things better (since when has Disney used pop songs in their trailers???)

It looks like they're going to be using Baymax as their main marketing scheme again, just like Olaf. Baymax at least is cuter, but whatever.

Also, considering Hiro's parents seem to have enough to pay for him to have a personal robot, a 3D printer and a robot arm with three rotary joins, the house seems kinda shabby.

So I guess it could be good or bad? We'll just have to wait and see.

No-Face said:
Also, considering Hiro's parents seem to have enough to pay for him to have a personal robot, a 3D printer and a robot arm with three rotary joins, the house seems kinda shabby.

Have you ever watched Dexter's Laboratory?

Smashgoom202 said:
supermariofan said:

Even then, it wasn't really his fault. He was given a lousy script.

Also I'm wondering if they'll have any tie-in with the MCU? Couldn't hurt if they did.

Excuse the bump, this movie only just came out in my place area. Now, I want someone here to help prove I'm not crazy (at least no more than usual).

When Hiro was demonstrating the microbots, one of the other people seen at the convention was Emmet Brown, wearing the same mind-reading helmet he invented in 1955. I don't see any sign of anyone else on the internet having noticed this, but I swear it happened. Please tell me someone else saw him.

i dunno. wouldn't be surprised if it was true

also i saw a gifset of this movie last night where hiro was watching honey lemon do her chem stuff and neither of them were wearing goggles. i am honestly very outraged at this terrible display of science. awful movie 0/10

Also I don't get why the comics this was based on aren't being made more available as a cross-promotion type of thing. From what I can google/amazon/elsewhere, only the second of the three miniseries they starred in are available, and even then, only digitally on Comixology.

Back