Pentagon deploying troops to thwart Russia

tbh i like putin more than obama, if only because of how little he cares for what other countries say

Anyways, I don't think this will head to war. The way I see it, Crimea was mostly Russian anyways and should have been part of Russia to start with. The fact that they voted to join Russia really gives Russia's actions a lot of validity.

Yes, there are many parallels to the Sudetenland crisis just prior to World War II, but as long as Russia stops here and doesn't try to capture anything else I don't see any reason why this would turn into war.

^Well Obama signed an executive order stating that any US citizen who supports Crimea splitting from the Ukraine can have their assets frozen: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/03/06/executive-order-blocking-property-certain-persons-contributing-situation

O'ER THE LAAAAAND OF THE FREEEEEEEEE

AND THE HOME

OF THE

BRAAAAAAAVE

and people say the president doesn't have any power

Well, the joke's on him. I don't have any assets to freeze. : )

also
constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States
yeah, i feel real threatened right now. thanks, mr. obama! i know i'm safe now that you can freeze my assets if i choose to support someone other than you

russia's got nukes, and mr president thinks it's a good idea to send his men straight into combat

putin's an even bigger idiot, he's the one that wants a tiny spit of land for no reason

these idiots are gonna start world war three, but with them in charge, there's no doubt they'll walk right into rocket fire and end the war within two minutes

nobody would opt for nuclear war

seriously, whoever starts the war has to be the one to answer for it, and said person will endure torture from the opposing countries, that's why people don't want to use nukes in warfare

wwiii doesn't really mean that there's gonna be nukes, it just means that there'll be another full scale war. it would be just the same as any other war, with guns and people heading off to war, no nukes needed

the only time nukes were ever needed for war is a situation of pure emergency, where there have been no other alternatives, and i'm fairly certain that with the destruction caused by nukes in wwii, plus the cuban missile crisis, nobody's really gonna use them for destruction, simply as threats

now if there was a zombie apocalypse such as in world war z, THEN you can use nukes, if the situation gets THAT bad

Dr. Javelin said:
tbh i like putin more than obama, if only because of how little he cares for what other countries say

Anyways, I don't think this will head to war. The way I see it, Crimea was mostly Russian anyways and should have been part of Russia to start with. The fact that they voted to join Russia really gives Russia's actions a lot of validity.
Because you know that election wasn't totally rigged what with them voting 93% to split off despite significant minorities of Crimea being you know not Russian and in fact being ethnic groups that Soviet Russia had discriminated against in the past.
also it's not like Russia has ever you know taken over a bunch of countries using military intimidation nope no sir Russia has always been on the straight and narrow especially this putin fellow whose never done anything to take away the liberties of gay russian, or arrested people who oppose him politically nope no sir and he especially was never part of a secret police force whose job was to silence people nope not good old Putin founder of the modern human rights movement

You really think that? You really think that 93% of Crimea voted in favor of separation when most of the minorities in Crimea were discriminated against and treated harshly during the Soviet Union. You really think they would willingly go and become part of the same country that treated them so harshly?

I looked into the demographics of Crimea.
Ethnicity
Approximate Amount of People
Approximate Percentage
Russians​
145,000,000​
64.4%​
Ukrainians​
577,000​
24.0%​
Crimean Tartars​
245,000​
10.2%​
Belarusians​
35,000​
01.4%​
Other Tartars​
13,500​
00.5%​
Armenians​
10,000​
00.4%​
Jews​
5,500​
00.2%​

Jack McCoy said:
You really think that? You really think that 93% of Crimea voted in favor of separation when most of the minorities in Crimea were discriminated against and treated harshly during the Soviet Union. You really think they would willingly go and become part of the same country that treated them so harshly?
Apparently life in Ukraine is worse.

Dr. Javelin said:
Jack McCoy said:
Apparently life in Ukraine is worse.
Or you know all those Russian troops could have been a big deterrent towards voting no
Oh also Russia's a shit hole and an corrupt shit hole at that

Floki said:
Fuckin executive order, man

Also I got a feeling Tom Clancy novels are gonna be relevant again reeeeeeal soon
aw yeah hunt for red october with sean connery

too bad tom clancy's dead, though. :_(

Иeptune said:
i'm sure shoey meant no offense to any russian users here
Why would he be offending Russian users?

*sigh* Guys, there isn't going to be a nuclear war. We survived 40 years of the Cold War with leaders a LOT more crazy than Putin is, and they never tried using them. It was close in Cuba, but I honestly think they would have backed down from those threats, anyway.

At the end of the day, Russia will back down if the US puts enough pressure on them. Unlike the USSR, modern-day Russia doesn't have an economy that can survive if the sanctions get too extreme. Heck, even the Soviets had to do trade with the US eventually to stop itself from collapsing in the 70's!

...ok, enough history babbling. Sorry, I did Cold War last year, so I still remember a lot of this.

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
Иeptune said:
well he just called Russia a SHITHOLE which I think would offend users who live there

even if it is going through some tough times, there's no need to offend other users who might live there

Purple Yoshi said:
At the end of the day, Russia will back down if the US puts enough pressure on them. Unlike the USSR, modern-day Russia doesn't have an economy that can survive if the sanctions get too extreme.
uh, russia has a ton of natural resources

and the USSR economy failing was in part due to underproduction, especially with farmers

Иeptune said:
Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
Иeptune said:
well he just called Russia a SHITHOLE which I think would offend users who live there

even if it is going through some tough times, there's no need to offend other users who might live there
Russia is a shithole it's a corrupt semi presidency with a rubber stamp legislature where the main opposition is actually funded by Putin in order to make the opposition look stupid and make the country seem more democratic then it really is.

Back