Character Moveset Speculation: Mario

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Okay, I'm going to do something either stupid or interesting, hopefully you won't think it's stupid. For the next few days, I'm going to make a series of topics about characters I either hope or expect to be in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. This isn't a wishlist (though I will mostly be talking about characters I want or I think would have a good, workable moveset) nor is it a "rate their chances" kind of deal. This is just going to be a fun little bit (well, knowing me, it likely won't be so little) of speculation and imagination. The only thing really required is that you try to explain how the character can work as a playable character and make them unique and try to justify their inclusion, and not just go "I think [blank] would be awesome in this game!" or "I want [blank] in Smash Bros.!" I meant to do this a lot sooner, and to prevent me from going overboard like I usually do, I'm going to split the topics up by franchise/series/universe.

Oh, BTW, this is also NOT a topic to argue whether or not a character is getting in. If you think a character can't get in or shouldn't be in, it doesn't matter as far as this topic's concerned. So long as you can think of a workable moveset, and if you think it could fit in the roster, by all means go all out! And remember to have fun with it! ;)

Well, now that I've said that, I should probably say I'm not good at creating in-depth movesets. I doubt I'd be able to create a detailed moveset, describing every single attack and how much damage it would theoretically do and it's knockback and all that. However, I can list some characters and give a good estimate as to how they could function, if they were playable. I should also say that after Greninja got confirmed to be a playable character, not to mention going to such extreme lengths on saying how Ridley can still technically be a playable character while also a boss, my mind has opened up considerably in terms of who could work and would can be playable.

For example as far as Mario representatives go... I have this theory, and it has to do with the number of playable Pokémon characters I speculate will be playable. In addition to the the four Pokémon revealed, I suspect Jigglypuff will once again return as an unlockable, and also predict there will be one more unlockable Pokémon (maybe Mewtwo, maybe not), leading to 6 representatives for the franchise. Even though Pokémon is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises (and there were 6 playable Pokémon in the last game), I feel like Nintendo's two other big-time franchises, Mario and The Legend of Zelda, shouldn't be outdone this time. Therefore, I'm going to be bold and predict each of them will have ate least 6 representatives for their respective universe.

And yeah, I know Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong are technically part of the Mario universe, but whatever, I still count them as their own thing despite sharing the Mario universe among them.

ANYWAY, with that in mind, I think of what other Mario character would be playable alongside Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Rosalina, and out of all the characters in the Mario universe, Bowser Jr. feels like the most likely and most obvious choice. He's been in a lot of recent games, he's Bowser's son, and unlike the Koopalings (whom, when it comes to them, it's either all or nothing, and I highly doubt Sakurai would go the extra mile to somehow make all seven of them playable), it wouldn't be that complicated to create a moveset. Some might think that he'd just be a mini-Bowser, just lighter and faster, but I think there's more to work with in his case. For one, he has his Magic Paintbrush, which could either be part of his normal moveset or be reserved for his special moves. I honestly think it would work better as a special move, in that he could hit an opponent and they lost traction because of the paint or something to that effect. He'd also have first breath, but unlike Bowser, it's more of a small fire ball that travels a short distance. It would stop an opponent and burn them a bit. His movement would be very ninja-like, like it is in the Mario games. Some might think this would make him less likely, as we already have two ninja characters in the game, but while Greninja is a stereotypical ninja character combined with water-based moves and Sheik is a... slightly less stereotypical ninja character, Bowser wouldn't use that many ninja-moves. Heck, I'd expect a lot of his attacks to almost mick Bowser's, but not in a clone-y kind of way. He'd try to fight like a strong guy like Bowser, like using punches, slashes and kicks,but wouldn't be as powerful. As for a Final Smash, I'm having a hard time thinking of one. Part of me would think Shadow Mario would be involved if it's not already involved with a special move, but I think a better idea would be to summon a Koopa Troop armada, or an airship and blast everyone with cannonfire! ...Yeah, like I said, I'm not very descriptive with my moveset ideas, but I still felt the need to share what I had in mind.

Another common Mario character recommendation is Paper Mario. Honestly, I never liked the idea of Paper Mario being playable, since I don't like the idea of characters literally fighting themselves (see Mario and Dr. Mario, Link and Young Link from Melee), but since Zelda and Sheik, as well as Samus and Zero Suit Samus are separate playable characters, screw that notion! The more I thought about it, though, even though I don't necessarily want him any more, I DO think he'd have a really creative moveset... at least as far as special attacks are concerned. I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of normal attacks for this character, since Mario's attacks in the Paper Mario series are either jumps or use of the hammer. Maybe he could incorporate his partners somehow... There's also the question of what his Final Smash would be like... Also, I haven't finished playing Paper Mario: Sticker Star, because it sucks (or rather, I really prefer the old playstyle over this one), so if there's a good Final Smash-type move in there, I don't know about it.

the last character I want to talk about today is Toad. It's unfortunate that Toad is, yet again, Peach's neutral special move, because I would have put him about Bowser Jr. as the most obvious and likely character for the Super Smash Bros. series. The fact that he still isn't is kind of sad, honestly, considering he's been a major player at least as long as Peach and Bowser. If they were to make a Super Smash Bros. after this, I'd say to replace Toad with Toadsworth and make Toad a unique character. Other then that, there's still a possibility of Toad being playable, with the playable Toad having red dots and also a red vest, and changing color. Really slim and rather unlikely, but it's worth suggesting. Now some of you might be thinking, what could Toad possible have to work with that Peach doesn't already have? Well, there IS one game that Toad starred in that they could take a lot from, and that's Wario's Woods. In the game, Toad has to stack up Warios minions, then plow them up using bomb! A bomb toss could either be his side or down special move. Also, since Mario uses at least two power-ups in his moveset, I don't see it as much of a stretch for Toad to do something similar. Maybe Toad can ride around in a go-kart, similar to Wario's Wario Bike, or perhaps Toad can leave around Poison Mushrooms (that look like how they did in Super Mario Kart) that either shrink or temporarily stun an opponent. I could use the Wing Cap being his recover, in that the wings appear on his mushroom cap! :P As for a Final Smash, I think he could take out a Mega Mushroom and grow gigantic. He can't attack in this Mega Mode, he can only move and jump, but getting run over by him results in an instant KO! Also, an alternate costume could be his captain of the Toad brigade outfit!

And those are my ideas for characters. There were others I considered, like Fawful (who I was going to do but I couldn't think up that creative a moveset for him) and the bosses from Super Mario Bros. 2 (which haven't been that relevant in years), but I couldn't think of much to say about them. If you do have some ideas, by all means, post about them. Hopefully, this'll be fun... Also, tell me what you think of my basic ideas for characters.

I'd like to point out that in Super Mario RPG, Toad mentions he has a bazooka.

He was never shown with it, but it would be hilarious.

I know this is Baby Bowser, but Bowser Jr. could grow larger like at the end of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

IMO, I think Paper Mario is a dumb idea for a new fighter.

Why waste a slot for essentially the same character? (That was my biggest problem with Dr. Mario in Melee.)

Except for the fact that paper Mario would be vastly different from regular Mario. Hammer, badges, paper abilities, partners, there's a whole lot of potential.

He could flip into 3D as a Final Smash and turn the stage. It wouldn't really work control-wise, but it's an idea.

Back