Creepypasta

Occasionally Returns

Fluffy boi(or possibly gurl?)
I love Creepypasta. My favorite characters from the series are The Rake, Slender Man, and Laughing Jack. "Teddy" by Michael Yowell is also great.

I wouldn't really consider creepypasta a "series", but I've seen a few good ones.

The core problem with creepypasta is how much it can cheapen good horror. Some creepypastas are stellar horror stories that are both deep, intelligent, and very, very scary (i.e. Candle Cove, Marble Hornets). But many of them boil down to cheap scare tactics; gross-out gore and such. Its the equivalent of jumpscares; they are cheap, and don't really add anything to the story. And since creepypasta characters like slendy, the rake, etcetera are so popular, a whole shitload of crappy fiction is being written by fans who aren't really putting any thought into it. I should know, because I'm close friends with one of those people. He's a good friend, and a great person, but his fiction is cheap and self gratifying slaughterfests featuring his creepypasta OC.

The only good creepypasta I've read is the Godzilla NES one. Watch the reading on YouTube by Goji73. Some serious nightmare fuel in those videos. Especially that one jumpscare. *shudder*

Amphituber said:
Words.

The core problem with creepypasta is how much it can cheapen good horror. More words.

The problem I see with it is a bunch of weirdos on the internet turning scary stories and horror things into fetishes for blood and edge and it just removes all of the scariness and turns it into awkward disgust. Slender Man isn't even fucking scary anymore, it's just another slashfic.

Morty said:
Amphituber said:
Words.

The core problem with creepypasta is how much it can cheapen good horror. More words.

The problem I see with it is a bunch of weirdos on the internet turning scary stories and horror things into fetishes for blood and edge and it just removes all of the scariness and turns it into awkward disgust. Slender Man isn't even *bleep*ing scary anymore, it's just another slashfic.

Thank you! That sums it up quite nicely. Unfortunately, my friend is one of those people.

i love bad creepypasta, it's hilarious to read and even better to quote

there's also some creepypastas i legitimately like! i don't have them offhand but there's a big list i could retrieve eventually

i hope mst3k arrives in this topic soon

his creepypastas are the best

I don't have to work today so I'll bump that thread in MJ later if I can come up with an idea.

In regards to creepypasta in general; when it's good, it's good (Godzilla NES, Russian Sleep Experiment) but otherwise you get garbage like Sonic.EXE with HYPER REALISTIC BLOOD coming from a Sega Genesis game.

Everyone should follow https://twitter.com/creepypasta_txt

i hope mst3k arrives in this topic soon

his creepypastas are the best

Can't find anything. link?

dat barkley shut up and jam gaiden reference

I used to be a creepypasta fan but not so much anymore.

Anywho, my favorite is probably Candle Cove: Day of the Dead, but I recommend you read the first Candle Cove first. I also recommend that you watch MrCreepyPasta's commentary which makes it 2 times better.

I dunno if "Don't hug me I am scared" counts as creepypasta since that shit could fall in... I dunno some sesame street for serial killers and psychos.

Well some creepypastas are lame. Herobrine, for instance, was something I didn't believe for a second, and I found Lavender Town Cyndrome was the scariest.

I found a creepypasta that said that your dead family members talk to you in Pokémon RB if you encounter a Pokémon in the first grass patch prior to getting your starter, which is impossible. It was a detective who was studying children suiciding due to the game albeit just starting, and then a bunch of dead children attacked him.

Of course this is false, as it mentions a game developer secretly programming it in and committing suicide after being questioned why he did it, albeit still being alive today (if I remembered the right person).

Hmm. Interesting. So I was watching Caddicarus's review of Slender (found here) and skimming through the comments when I found this one.

"This Slenderman Mythos fan agrees, Slender is not scary, not now that it's been overplayed and done to death. It is definitely a flawed game and for some people, just won't scare them. But you still have to admit it got some things brilliantly right about horror gaming and, when it came out a few years back, was easily one of the better indie horror titles. It was genuinely terrifying in 2012, primarily because I think fewer people had heard of Slenderman then.

And to be honest, it did capture the concept of being alone, isolated and helpless pretty well, which I think too many horror games lack nowadays. You didn't get a weapon, you didn't even get a ton of time or energy. All you got was a flashlight, stuck in a forest, and told "Hey, go do this random thing". It took the fear of being isolated and stalked and used that to its advantage; it used slowly building ambient music to build up tension. And then revealed the monster after it had let the tension build a while, just like all good horror stories should.

In other words, it was actually a damn good indie horror game for the concept it picked, especially for the climate it was launched in - a culture that was much more used to jumpscares and gore than psychologial horror in their games. And there's a reason the various clones of Slender: The Eight Pages just aren't as scary - partially because they're overdone clones, yes, but also partially because they copied the formula without understanding why the formula worked. They just looked at this successful game, went "oh, Slenderman + creepy environment = SCARY HORROR GAME!", and made a game. However, they failed to realize that in order for this particular monster to work, you need to build tension, a fear that you're unable to escape, a sense of paranoia. That's literally the only way anyone can ever make Slenderman scary, because it's pretty much what he and his Mythos are based around. This goes for all media with the character - in other words, Marble Hornets isn't creepy because Slendy's in it, it's creepy because of the underlying story, the tension-building, and how Slendy is used in it."

...Whoa. Both a decent defense of Slender and the horribly-mangled-by-the-fanbase mythos that goes with it. And all this from someone named The Phantom Safety Pin. Very well thought out.

Sorry for the bump-but one I've seen and would really like to see again is this one on Deviantart that mentioned a fourth Animaniacs DVD volume (this was written before it was released), but it was mostly about the first volume that was packaged for free and how it included a lost 100th episode (only 99 Animaniacs episodes were ever made).

Back