Gematsu Rumor Topic?

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Remember that topic where I posted a big-time rumor that managed to get some things right but was eventually disproven? Well, I'm making another one of these for another rumor that's been given some credulity lately, specifically the Gematsu tip-off.

For those of you unaware, Gematsu, a gaming website apparently, received an anonymous tip-off that, of all characters, the Wii Fit trainer would be in the game. Since they couldn't validate the source of the tip-off they didn't bother posting about it... until the Wii Fit Trainer was confirmed. Then they posted this article about it:

http://gematsu.com/2013/06/wii-fit-trainer-joins-super-smash-bros

Incidentally, the supposed "tipster" said other characters would be in the game, including Mega Man, the Animal Crossing villager, Little Mac, Pac-Man, and "your Mii". Well, as we all know, Little Mac was indeed eventually confirmed, adding further credibility to this.

I remember hearing this a while back and not thinking that much of it. I mean, Wii Fit Trainer aside, they all feel like really obvious choices... Then this article was posted a few weeks ago, JUST before the Super Smash Bros. Direct:

http://gematsu.com/2014/04/rumor-shulk-palutena-set-super-smash-bros

The tipster said that not only Pac-Man and Mii are on their way, but that the following characters would be playable:

Shulk (Xenoblade)
Palutena (Kid Icarus)
Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven)
Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y

Keep in mind, this was posted BEFORE the Direct as opposed to after.

Three things I took note of from this new article:

1.) They said a Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y... They didn't say Greninja. (also, they didn't use Pokémon with the special "é", but I'm not sure if that's Gematsu or the tipster's fault). Really, even though I wasn't really expecting Greninja or any gen 6 Pokémon (I was thinking they'd bring back Mewtwo before that, but whatever), this is still an incredibly vague character leak that could refer to any Pokémon from Pokémon X and Y. Not to mention...
2.) Almost all of the characters listed, including the "Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y" deal, much like the last supposed tip-off, are incredibly obvious choices. They're pretty much shy of Ridley in terms of characters people both wanted and expected... except for one.
3.) Much like the Wii Fit Trainer, the list contains one out-there choice, and that's the Choir Boys from "Rhythm Heaven". Now, I've never played any of the Rhythm Heaven games (there are only three in the series, one of which is Japanese exclusive), but my immediate thought was "Choir Boys? As in more then one character? As in more then two characters? How's THAT supposed to work?!" However, for the sake of this little write-up I'm making, I decided to hunt down some gameplay clips of these guys.

...That's apparently the best I could find that isn't a remix or some fan-made stuff. Yeah, apparently these guys are only in Rhythm Heaven Fever, and not Rhythm Tengoku or Rhythm Heaven Fever.

This really begs the question... why them? Regardless of if this is really just a stupid made-up rumor or if Sakurai and Nintendo really did put such a bizarre character (or characters) in the game as playable, why them? I've actually seen quite a few characters from this Rhythm series suggested, specifically Karate Joe and the Rhythm Wrestler, both, incidentally, seem better suited for fighter then the Choir Boys; not to mention, I think a Rhythm Heaven character would be a unique idea, since they could incorporate timed, rhythm-based attacks into their moveset. But... again, having a hard time wrapping my head around how a trio of dudes who are mostly known for singing (and not very well, no offense) can work as a playable character in this game. And I'm saying this as a guy who's mind has been opened up to new possibilities for characters. Hell, after so long of being on the other side, I actually want Pac-Man playable! I'm guessing they'll incorporate various aspects of the Rhythm series, as well as different mini-games from the series into one character, a la Mr. Game & Watch, and that I'm totally down with... But out of all the characters seen in that series... why go with the Choir Boys?

On the off chance that this rumor IS true, I would DEFINITELY love to see how they made it work, but until it's proven or disproven, could someone help explain this to me? Preferably someone who's played the Rhythm Heaven games? Also, yeah, what do you think about these supposed tip-offs? Could the guy really be an insider, or just a lucky guesser up to this point?

...By the way, here's a GameXplain discussion about it.

I can see Choir Boys as an Assist Trophy, but not a full character.

It's interesting how so far, this rumor has been correct.

New Super Mario said:
I would love if this is true since it has a lot of the characters I wanted
it's still missing ghirahim though

I'd be ok with this batch of newcomers. Pac-Man and Mii while not really not the most popular choices in the speculation community were pretty likely given since the info we got back in E3 (Wii Fit Trainer & Villager being included being huge clues for the Miis, Namco being a big developer of the game was one for Pac-Man especially considering Namco still does not appear in the credits of the Smash Bros. website when Sega appeared shortly after Sonic was confirmed)

And our total newcomer list would be:

Villager
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Greninja
Miis
Pac-Man
Shulk
Palutena
Chrom
and Chorus Men

That's 11 Newcomers. About what I was expecting. The Chorus Man/Men might be weird. But if it turns out true, then it's just Smash 4's own ROB and Mr. Game and Watch. (Even if you think Wii Fit Trainer already fits that bill) Even if Chorus Men wouldn't exactly be a retro choice. Though it's fairly old considering the first of the Rhythm Heaven series was on the GBA, and sequels on the DS, and the Wii

Northern Verve said:
And our total newcomer list would be:

Villager
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Greninja
Miis
Pac-Man
Shulk
Palutena
Chrom
and Chorus Men

That's 11 Newcomers.

rosalina exists

This rumor has suddenly gotten a lot more credible. Three more of the predictions were shown at E3. Also,, there's this tidbit of news.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-official-thread-for-the-sal-romano-gematsu-leak.353570/page-52#post-16866157

Lucas may not be coming back. But DLC seems to be a very real possibility.

One fault with the leak is that Chrom's voice actor has said that no one has come to him about voicing Chrom in Smash 4. We'll just have to wait and see. Even if Shulk gets revealed, I won;t buy it 100%. It's a pretty obvious guess. However, if the Chorus Men are indeed playable, then this leak is real.

GalacticPetey said:
This rumor has suddenly gotten a lot more credible. Three more of the predictions were shown at E3. Also,, there's this tidbit of news.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-official-thread-for-the-sal-romano-gematsu-leak.353570/page-52#post-16866157

Lucas may not be coming back. But DLC seems to be a very real possibility.

One fault with the leak is that Chrom's voice actor has said that no one has come to him about voicing Chrom in Smash 4. We'll just have to wait and see. Even if Shulk gets revealed, I won;t buy it 100%. It's a pretty obvious guess. However, if the Chorus Men are indeed playable, then this leak is real.
Hey, I'm down with DLC... Although Lucas being cut kind of disappoints me... then again, maybe they'll have Lucas as DLC? Hell, I always thought the point of DLC was to add extensions to the game after it was completed, as in the game is technically finished but you can add stuff you didn't have time to include afterward. Then again, new characters in a fighting game like this would take a lot more work and effort then, say, Mario Golf or Mario Kart, there's the issue of balancing out this character with the rest of the line-up.

...But yeah, this rumor suddenly got a lot more credible. Of course, they COULD just be very lucky predictions...

By the way, if I may, I'd like to bring up some things. First of all, the leaker contacted the Gematsu writer (on SmashBoards, I think) again just before the E3 Digital Conference:

And changed "Mii" to "Mii Fighter"... the fact that he knew they would be called that BEFORE it was officially announced during the conference... well, yeah, that definitely is some insider stuff.

Really, the one thing that was holding me back from fully believing the leak was the fact that they had something as descriptive as "Chorus Men", yet only said Pokémon from Pokémon X & Y. Then someone pointed this out to me on another forum:

Around 50 minutes in, someone asked why Greninja was included, to which Sakurai stated that while pretty much all the characters revealed so far, including Pac-Man, were there from the start of the development of these two games, Greninja wasn't. Greninja was still in the concept stages at Gamefreak and they began working on his moveset once they had a character design.

So in other words, the information this leaker had might have been old information, and Greninja wasn't specifically chosen yet. It sounds like a bit of a stretch, especially considering he/she has more updated information now, but then again, like everyone's been saying, he/she's been right so far, so it might truly be legit.

This had me wondering if this means there will be no other new characters aside from the ones the leaker said, to which someone else pointed out that Rosalina wasn't mentioned by the leaker yet she's in. This has me hopeful that some of my other favorite picks, including Ridley, Takamaru, and Krystal, might make it into the game.

One last thing: while I don't have much to say about how Shulk or the Chorus Men will play, some people are concerned that Chrom will be too similar to Marth or Ike. Well, given that Palutena has a huge variable customizable moveset, I think Chrom might be similar. I'd make sense, too, given how in Fire Emblem: Awakening, you can change Chrom's class, and in his Great Lord class, he can use lances in addition to his sword. So while his main moveset might use his trademark sword, the Falchion, the rest of his moveset could use all sorts of different attacks! ...Just a thought.

Do people just assume that because he is a blue haired swordsman, he will play like Marth or Ike? Those two are both blue haired swordsmen and play completely differently.

GalacticPetey said:
Do people just assume that because he is a blue haired swordsman, he will play like Marth or Ike? Those two are both blue haired swordsmen and play completely differently.
There's only so much you can do with a humanoid swordsman of similar background to two pre-existing characters... wouldn't you agree?

Smashgoom202 said:
GalacticPetey said:
There's only so much you can do with a humanoid swordsman of similar background to two pre-existing characters... wouldn't you agree?
No, I don't agree.

I do like the possibility of Chrom using weapons from his other classes. Potentially giving him an axe, lance, bow, and a tome if they wanna cheat and give him the dread fighter's weapons.

Well, I think that if there are 12 newcomers, than that will probably be our only newcomers.

Because 36 returning (Snake, [partly] Pokemon trainer cut) plus 12 would give us 48, which would seem like how many characters they will give us this time around. I mean, they said they don't want to cut too many, but they don't want to add that many. We already have 9 newcomers, and that's quite a lot, so I doubt we'll see anymore, and with how accurate this is, thhat's probably all we'll get.

So no Mewtwo, no Ghirahim, no Ridley...all of which I didn't even want in this game as a playable character anyways.

Choir Boys would be surprising, but after Wii Fit Trainer, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Of course, I still think [and hope] that maybe the information was misrecieved and could actually just be assist trophy worthy.

Armin Arlert said:
So no Mewtwo, no Ghirahim, no Ridley...all of which I didn't even want in this game as a playable character anyways.
NO. I still want Ghirahim and Ridley.

of course they just had to bring back toon link which doesn't really help his chances.

Mio Akiyama said:
Smashgoom202 said:
GalacticPetey said:
No, I don't agree.
Well, come on, there are only so many ways you can make slashing a sword interesting or unique, right? Unless Chrom uses a lance, but then again, why wouldn't he use his trademark weapon from the game?

Armin Arlert said:
Well, I think that if there are 12 newcomers, than that will probably be our only newcomers.

Because 36 returning (Snake, [partly] Pokemon trainer cut) plus 12 would give us 48, which would seem like how many characters they will give us this time around. I mean, they said they don't want to cut too many, but they don't want to add that many. We already have 9 newcomers, and that's quite a lot, so I doubt we'll see anymore, and with how accurate this is, thhat's probably all we'll get.

Choir Boys would be surprising, but after Wii Fit Trainer, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Of course, I still think [and hope] that maybe the information was misrecieved and could actually just be assist trophy worthy.
Keep in mind, just because there was a leak of what characters will be in the game, that doesn't mean that's ALL there will be. I'm hanging on the fact that Rosalina's in the game to prove that there will be other newcomers in the game.

In fact, I checked the number of newcomers between versions, and I got this:

Super Smash Bros. - 12 "newcomers" (technically, they're all new, since this was the first game)
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 14 newcomers (counting Zelda and Sheik as two separate characters)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 16-18 (counting each of the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon)

And so far, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U have 9-11 newcomers (counting each Mii Fighter's fight style as separate characters). They also said some characters WON'T be returning, but then again, they also said that each character will count as a separate character this time, so two-three characters won't take up the same slot like Zelda/Sheik or the Pokémon Trainer.

All in all, I'd say it's far to expect at least as many newcomers as in Brawl in not more, so including the Gematsu leaks there will be 12-14 alone, meaning there could be another 2 or so newcomers that we haven't seen yet.

As such, I wouldn't count Ridley, Ghirahim, Mewtwo, or anyone else not mentioned by Gematsu out of the woods just yet! ...Speaking of which, I'm going to revise my wishlist...

Smashgoom202 said:
Mio Akiyama said:
Smashgoom202 said:
GalacticPetey said:
No, I don't agree.
Well, come on, there are only so many ways you can make slashing a sword interesting or unique, right? Unless Chrom uses a lance, but then again, why wouldn't he use his trademark weapon from the game?
Armin Arlert said:

Keep in mind, just because there was a leak of what characters will be in the game, that doesn't mean that's ALL there will be. I'm hanging on the fact that Rosalina's in the game to prove that there will be other newcomers in the game.

In fact, I checked the number of newcomers between versions, and I got this:

Super Smash Bros. - 12 "newcomers" (technically, they're all new, since this was the first game)
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 14 newcomers (counting Zelda and Sheik as two separate characters)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 16-18 (counting each of the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon)

And so far, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U have 9-11 newcomers (counting each Mii Fighter's fight style as separate characters). They also said some characters WON'T be returning, but then again, they also said that each character will count as a separate character this time, so two-three characters won't take up the same slot like Zelda/Sheik or the Pokémon Trainer.

All in all, I'd say it's far to expect at least as many newcomers as in Brawl in not more, so including the Gematsu leaks there will be 12-14 alone, meaning there could be another 2 or so newcomers that we haven't seen yet.

As such, I wouldn't count Ridley, Ghirahim, Mewtwo, or anyone else not mentioned by Gematsu out of the woods just yet! ...Speaking of which, I'm going to revise my wishlist...
Chrom could easily weild his sword and lances, Link weilds other weapons beside his signature Master Sword so why can't Chrom?

plus some lances (like spears and javelins, iirc) are throwable which opens up more possibilies for potential moves

Cosmo the Spacedog said:
Chrom could easily weild his sword and lances, Link weilds other weapons beside his signature Master Sword so why can't Chrom?

plus some lances (like spears and javelins, iirc) are throwable which opens up more possibilies for potential moves
I dunno... Because swords are his primary weapon? Also, it would be hard to whip out a lance while you're weilding a sword, unlike Link's arsenal, where he can easily sheath his sword to take out smaller weapons.

I can only really see a spear or a javelin as his side special move and not much else.

Not that I'm disagreeing with Chrom being in the game, just really curious about how one could differentiate his moveset without it being too cluttered.

Well he could always use a sheath or put the weapon he's not using in that magic invisible storage bin that most characters seem to have, and use his down special to switch between weapons or automatically switch weapons between attacks. Even though that'd a little tricky it could still probably be done.

either way i'm sure it's possible for him not be a clone of Marth or Ike

Back