Super Mario Sunshine 3DS remake idea

YoshiCookie

Goomba
Super Mario Sunshine had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it was sandwiched in between the well-received 64 and Galaxy, and felt kind of rushed. Here are ideas I have for a possible remake for the 3DS.

• The voice acting would be redubbed with the new voice actors. There would be an option to switch back to the old voices or completely mute them.
  • There would be 150 shines instead of 120, like Super Mario 64 DS did.
  • After beating the game, there would be a sound test mode.
  • Multiplayer? It could be minigames or main campaign (or both!) but it would be a good opportunity for Luigi to make an appearance
  • The physics engine would be reworked into something like the Galaxy games. Especially on the secret levels.
  • There would be a touch screen map like SM64DS, and you can talk to a certain Pianta to see the remaining Red and Blue Coins you need.
  • The Bowser fight would be less of a let-down. Maybe add a second phase, make his attacks less predictable, or something like that?
  • Peach would return to Delfino Plaza after beating the game and the Toads would stop being panicked.
  • It would make FLUDD's "death" in the ending more emotional than cheesy. Perhaps in an added scene, Peach would be trying to cheer him up about it?
  • Get rid of that weird blue circle when you go into an enclosed area.
  • Fix most of the glitches.

Post your own ideas!

Luigi and Wario playable a la Super Mario 64 DS.

Blue Coin system should either be revamped or get the hell out of the game.

Replace Wario with DK
Have the Kremlings involved in some way, maybe have them take over Isle Delfino? DK does live on a tropical island himself, so he'd fit a Sunshine remake better than Wario.
Make the red and blue coins worth 2 and 5 normal coins again.

Casey Jones said:
Replace Wario with DK
Have the Kremlings involved in some way, maybe have them take over Isle Delfino? DK does live on a tropical island himself, so he'd fit a Sunshine remake better than Wario.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not...

He just doesn't want to see Wario in a Sunshine outfit/ride on Yoshi

YoshiCookie said:
Casey Jones said:
Replace Wario with DK

I can't tell if this is a joke or not...

Not a joke.

Baby Luigi said:
He just doesn't want to see Wario in a Sunshine outfit

What kind of sane person would want to see that?!

What would the control be for this hypothetical game.
Does the 3DS have enough Buttons?

The 3DS would have more than enough buttons. Possible suggestions would be some Online Mini-Games, that not only are like the Mini-games in 64/New Super Mario Bros DS, but could be competitive in the world. Also, Delfino Island could be larger, with more intelligent AI's to the residents. Also, I do believe that Yoshi could be better in that. I think he could be used for more functions, perhaps each fruit not only changing the color, but also giving him a different special ability.

3D Player 2004 said:

Circle Pad: Move
Directional Pad: Camera
A button: Jump
B button: Slide/Eat with Yoshi/Read/Talk/Pick up/Throw
X button: Switch nozzle
Y button: Zoom in
L button: Ground Pound
R button: FLUDD/Yoshi Juice
Start button: Pause
Select button: Guidebook

Misty said:
Wario already has a shirt with short sleeves.
I was gonna say that, too! Well, I guess there's no change then in his outfit (tank top?)

I have an online multiplayer mode idea! It's called "Capture the Shine!" As you've probably guessed, it's a lot like Capture the Flag. You split into two teams (Mario and Luigi vs. Shadow Mario and Bowser). Mario and Luigi each use a FLUDD to stun and push back Shadow Mario and Bowser from their Shine Sprite. Shadow Mario and Bowser do the same with their Magic Paintbrush and Fire Breath respectively. The stages are Delfino Plaza, Gelato Beach, Noki Bay, and Pianta Village (day). C'mon, that sounds like fun, right?

It's hard for me without the long jump, even with the FLUDD's hover nozzle. I was disappointed when you couldn't use it, even without the FLUDD.

Dashbot said:
Sunshine is terrible, 'nuff said. The ultimate plumber do not need an accessory to wipe foes out.

Well, you are entitled to your-

No

*bleep* that

Sunshine is one of the best Mario games ever made. Its the sequel that Super Mario 64 deserved.

It had enough great content, atmosphere, and music to kill a full grown moose.

Not only is it amazing, it's objectively amazing

Smooth and responsive controls? Check.
A well-measured blend of linear and open gameplay? Check.
Catchy, well composed music? Check.
Memorable, well paced boss battles? Check.
A vibrant and appealing art style? Checkity *bleep*ing check!

And you're complaining that Nintendo was being innovative, of all things? Arrrrrrrrrgh!

Okay, rant over.

YoshiCookie said:
3D Player 2004 said:

How do you squirt while running?

Amphituber said:
Not only is it amazing, it's objectively amazing

Smooth and responsive controls? Check.
A well-measured blend of linear and open gameplay? Check.
Catchy, well composed music? Check.
Memorable, well paced boss battles? Check.
A vibrant and appealing art style? Checkity *bleep*ing check!

Um, the only thing closest to a true objective statement is the controls bit and even that could be subjective

I'm not doubting Sunshine is awesome, just saying.

Except the blue coins. ---- them.

YoshiCookie said:
3D Player 2004 said:

I'd swap A and B.

Potted Piranha Plant said:
I'd swap A and B.

Well, the options menu could offer alternate control schemes. Also, it could turn gyro controls for FLUDD on and off (which would let you aim your squirt when running). I know some people find it annoying, though, so it should be optional.

Also, they should "modernize" the enemy designs (give Piranha Plants white lips, make Cheep Cheeps look like Cheep Cheeps, same with the Boos, etc.)

As for the Stus, I think it's best to leave them alone. I liked their quirky design; it would be a bit of a letdown if they replaced them with Goombas or something.

Though, I guess if we had to say good-bye to the Stus, Shy Guys would be a suitable replacement. Think about it. Shy Guy = Strollin' Stu, Fly Guy = Soarin' Stu, Bandit = Swipin' Stu, and Pyro Guy = Smolderin' Stu. Don't know about Swoopin' Stu, though.

Misty said:
It's hard for me without the long jump, even with the FLUDD's hover nozzle. I was disappointed when you couldn't use it, even without the FLUDD.

New idea. L is now also a crouch button. You can use it to long jump and backwards somersault, and also roll like in SM3DL and SM3DW by pressing B when crouching. (You can still do a backwards somersault by squirting with FLUDD, letting go, and jumping like before.)

Casey Jones said:
Baby Luigi said:
He just doesn't want to see Wario in a Sunshine outfit

What kind of sane person would want to see that?!
Misty said:
Wario already has a shirt with short sleeves.
I think Wario is going lighter than that heavy attire.

I was thinking some of Mario's voice clips from Super Mario 3D World could replace the old ones. Also, it'd be nice to see Mario's "Looks like a giant--" and "Looks like Mario's gonna have to find a new job" from the Japanese intro come back. Also, "Shine!" could be replaced by "You got a Shine Sprite!" but I guess it still has better grammar than "Shine Get!" :P

Amphituber said:
Dashbot said:
Sunshine is terrible, 'nuff said. The ultimate plumber do not need an accessory to wipe foes out.
.....Not only is it amazing, it's objectively amazing

Agreed, It is very fun! I'm not saying it is bad entirely.. It is awesome in everything. Well, except the idea of the that *bleep* water machine. It is still fun to use however..

Back