Ridley for Smash Bros.: The Go-To topic for Ridley Discussions

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
So, I wanted to share this: a Ridley support page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ridley-for-Super-Smash-Bros-4/734096326629920

The page is looking for any and all people who can articulate how and why Ridley cand/should be playable in Super Smash Bros., for the people who continuously can't see how that can be. Really, I've seen more then enough convincing evidence to how he can be playable, but so many people can't even get past the "he's too big" argument, and not even in an ironic or joking sense. Some more reasonable folks further clarify that he's simply took awkward, and while I can also disagree with that, it helps to have a go-to place to talk about it and explain the fine details, hence this topic.

So while I don't want to start an argument, I kind of feel that I have to in order to come up with plausible reasonings and explanations for how Ridley can work in Super Smash Bros. So... try to keep things classy here, guys.

I have yet to see a legitamtie reason against Ridley. The too big argument has been done to death and has been easily disproven in the past.

And don't give me that "he would look out of place" nonsense. We've had Solid Snake, who's more out of place than anyone lose.

Nick Fury said:
I have yet to see a legitamtie reason against Ridley. The too big argument has been done to death and has been easily disproven in the past.

And don't give me that "he would look out of place" nonsense.
H. Queen being in Mario Kart 7 is an example that can disprove BOTH arguments easily.

Ridley should be a familiar/assist you can summon. Although that also would make no sense, because Samus would not be summoning Ridley.

IDEA: Make a space pirate a playable character, and he can summon Ridley.

Nick Fury said:

And don't give me that "he would look out of place" nonsense. We've had Solid Snake, who's more out of place than anyone lose.
^this sums up my thoughts on the matter

Dr Wario said:
Ridley should be a familiar/assist you can summon. Although that also would make no sense, because Samus would not be summoning Ridley.

IDEA: Make a space pirate a playable character, and he can summon Ridley.
Mario can summon Hammer Bro., Lakitu, Waluigi.
Fox can summon Andross.

There's no reason why it couldn't work.

Jim McGinn said:
Mario can summon Hammer Bro., Lakitu, Waluigi.
Fox can summon Andross.
And anyone can summon Tingle.

Shut up, YoshiMonsta. We didn't actually see him, to be fair.

1. It could be Meta Ridley.
2. Remember when the Spirit Tracks stage was confirmed? Remember when Toon Link was thought to be deconfirmed?

Dankey Kang said:
2. Remember when the Spirit Tracks stage was confirmed? Remember when Toon Link was thought to be deconfirmed?

when ridley joins the battle, alfonso is in charge of the stage hazard
alfonso: "leave it to me!"

Hotaru Tomoe said:
Dankey Kang said:

when ridley joins the battle, alfonso is in charge of the stage hazard
alfonso: "leave it to me!"
Yup, something like this. Honestly, I am going to say that the fact that they didn't show Ridley intensifies his chance of being playable.

Sakurai loves teasing Super Smash Bros. fans, lol.

I knew I shouldn't have procrastinated on this... I've been fighting over this ever since the Nintendo Direct, and honestly, I don't want to fight or debate about it anymore. I'm just going to post my thoughts and HOPEFULLY keep to them without seeming like a "drone" all the anti-Ridley people seem to assume I am.

Anyway, since it hasn't been posted yet, watch this video:

It does a good job at summarizing a lot of how I feel about this. For starters, Sakurai didn't outright said Ridley was a boss. Compare this to everything else int he Direct, in which Sakurai openly explained and pointed out who and what things were. Sure, we see a shadow that LOOKS like Ridley, but when you look at everything else revealed in this trailer, it was outright stated what characters were and that they'll be appearing as something OTHER then a playable character. The shadow we also looks very suspicious. Part of me feels like it looks more like Meta-Ridley, or Robot Ridley, as opposed to actually Ridley. Not to mention, many people have pointed out that Ridley almost looks like he's being controlled, almost as if to say that the Ridley shadow we see is actually the playable form of Ridley. I don't know if I'd go THAT far, but that certainly would be an interesting twist...

Not to mention, when you play as Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage, the Toon Link there is switched out with Alfonzo. Who's to say the same can't be done with Ridley? After all, there are multiple versions of Ridley, it's not hard to imagine that if you play as Ridley, a different boss appears on this stage.

It's also worth noting that Sakurai LOVES to mess with his fanbase; this could easily be a trick, a troll move, a way to lead people into thinking that Ridley's a boss, only to surprise them by showing him playable at a later date. It's not that surprising, given he's done as much crazy stuff before, and even in this Smash Bros. Direct video, when he said Zero Suit Samus wouldn't be returning, then just went "nah, I'm kidding, here she is!" Speaking of which, if Samus and Zero Suit Samus can be playable at the same time, I don't see why a playable version of Ridley and a different boss version of Ridley can't also co-exist.

So really, even though I do feel slightly desperate bringing out all these justifications for why Ridley can't still be playable, I also don't feel I'm stretching all that much. Compared to what I've seen and what I'm likely going to see, it really don't feel as impossible as people are making it out to be.

I'm really iffy on Ridley now. He is most likely a stage hazard. However, a small part of me in the back of my head thinks there still is a chance, but it is very unlikely. I went ahead and removed Ridley from my prediction roster.

What are you guys talking about? They did show the wing, and I can confirm that it's not meta ridley's.

10173714_10151975058966447_8748466606241923219_n.jpg

As Meta Ridley doesn't have the purple, while this obviously shows purple on it.

Nick Fury said:

I do hope you realize that "he's too big" and "he would look out of place" are not the only two arguments.

I never wanted him as a character, and I've stated many times why he should not be a playable character (not using those two arguments that apparently all anti-ridley people say). And honestly, I like that Sakurai didn't reveal Ridley then and now, since it starts making fans think that "Ridley is most likely a boss, but may be a character still" and let them not get completely destroyed when he reveals him as a boss. Also because it makes more hype like he did with Palutena's trophy and all that jazz.

But yeah, I just don't think Ridley is suitable as a playable character for any Smash Bros. game. I much rather have him as a boss character than a playable character.

That looks more like something belonging to Meta Ridley than it does to Ridley.

I heard from GameXplain it was of Ridley's Other M appearance, as parts of the wing can sometimes be seen on screen.

Metroid needs another another rep other than Samus, I think Ridley is the best choice. I think if they tweak him perfectly, he'll make a great Smash character therefore I support him for Smash 4.

I definitely agree with many of the ideas posted in the video that Smashgoom put up.

Metroid needs another rep, I mean, it's a very important Nintendo series and shouldn't go unrepresented.

Back