Nintendo finally acknowledges the competitive scene

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
From a Nintendo representative regarding Melee being at EVO

"The fact that Super Smash Bros. Melee is being used to help determine champion status for competitive gamers so many years after it was released is a testament to the strong fan passion for both this individual game and the Super Smash Bros. franchise overall," a representative for Nintendo told Polygon. "Nintendo is happy to work with both Evo and Major League Gaming to help make their tournaments come to life using the game, and we hope it helps make their events enjoyable for video game fans everywhere. Nintendo will be releasing a new Super Smash Bros. game for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS this year."

This is amazing. As many of you may remember, Nintendo tried to shut down Melee at EVO last year. The fans responded with such backlash that Nintendo was forced to let it happen. Now they seem to acknowledge the fact that there is a competitive fan base and that it deserves respect.

Lord G. Matters said:
Was gonna happen sooner or later; from what I recall, a lot of people prefer Melee to Brawl, so.
I like Brawl better. (This is my opinion.)

Nick Fury said:

"The fact that Super Smash Bros. Melee is being used to help determine champion status for competitive gamers so many years after it was released is a testament to the strong fan passion for both this individual game and the Super Smash Bros. franchise overall," a representative for Nintendo told Polygon. "Nintendo is happy to work with both Evo and Major League Gaming to help make their tournaments come to life using the game, and we hope it helps make their events enjoyable for video game fans everywhere. Nintendo will be releasing a new Super Smash Bros. game for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS this year."

This is amazing. As many of you may remember, Nintendo tried to shut down Melee at EVO last year. The fans responded with such backlash that Nintendo was forced to let it happen. Now they seem to acknowledge the fact that there is a competitive fan base and that it deserves respect.
Is this going to impact the 4th game somehow? Like, characters get balanced (waiting for a major Mario buff)?

Shy Guy Forever said:
Lord G. Matters said:
Was gonna happen sooner or later; from what I recall, a lot of people prefer Melee to Brawl, so.
I like Brawl better. (This is my opinion.)
I'm a casual player and I like Melee's mechanics better. Kind of weird for some "casual" to say that.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Nick Fury said:

Is this going to impact the 4th game somehow? Like, characters get balanced (waiting for a major Mario buff)?
I think Smash 4 is already pretty far into development. It would be a huge hassle to go back and balance everything.

Well, if they're adding new characters, the characters we have already have to accommodate with their getting-grabbed animations added and stuff. And, it doesn't seem too labor intensive to making a few tweaks, like increasing knockback, reducing landing lag, increasing power, and that. Programming the animations and producing the models in the first place should be harder.

Back