Misformatted Aboutfile Template

Dashbot

BREEE
Most new users break the Aboutfile (Template:Aboutfile) template, The worst thing about it, that it cannot be easily detected. I propose the following code to be added to the template. Each line of the following add the category "Files with broken Aboutfile template (Category:Files with broken Aboutfile template)" (to be created) to the File page if the respective variable has the default value. (i.e, the variable {{{1}}} has a value of "Subject of the image").

{{#ifeq: {{{1}}}|Subject of the image|[[Category:Files with broken Aboutfile template]]}}
{{#ifeq: {{{2}}}|Where you found the image|[[Category:Files with Broken Aboutfile template]]}}
{{#ifeq: {{{3}}}|Artist|[[Category:Files with Broken Aboutfile template]]}}
{{#ifeq: {{{4}}}|Describe edits, if any|[[Category:Files with Broken Aboutfile template]]}}
{{#ifeq: {{{5}}}|Other versions (use file link)|[[Category:Files with Broken Aboutfile template]]}}

adding this in the template coding will activate it (may need a cache reset for files pages with already broken Aboutfile), so any page having a misformatted aboutfile template will be automatically added to the category, therefore making it easier to maintenance.

This is an ongoing collab, it aims for clearing this issue. Any other ideas are very welcome.

The artist parameter shouldn't be used by people who ripped stuff from the game since they didn't really make the sprites (I was guilty of adding my name in some of my early screenshots under the artist parameter but...I don't do that anymore). If you really want to credit the ripper, you should put it in the source section.

A separate game parameter seems unnecessary: best to leave the template as-is. Usually I just put the game in the source unless the image came from a specific website, but with that in mind, it might make more sense to just include the game in the description: that'd help flesh out descriptions too, so that things like "this is Mario" don't happen ("Mario's official artwork from SMS" would be better).

Baby Luigi said:
The artist parameter shouldn't be used by people who ripped stuff from the game since they didn't really make the sprites (I was guilty of adding my name in some of my early screenshots under the artist parameter but...I don't do that anymore). If you really want to credit the ripper, you should put it in the source section.
Agreed.

The thing about the new variable is that it makes the description only about the character/thing/whatever in the file only, the game is already defined, it also automatically adds the category.

Walkazo said:
A separate game parameter seems unnecessary: best to leave the template as-is. Usually I just put the game in the source unless the image came from a specific website, but with that in mind, it might make more sense to just include the game in the description: that'd help flesh out descriptions too, so that things like "this is Mario" don't happen ("Mario's official artwork from SMS" would be better).

I always found simply using a game title as the source of your image highly misleading. If you found the screenshot off a site, say so in the source. If you took it yourself or you ripped it yourself, you should say so in the source as well. Well, I always integrate the game in the description, so it's not that much of a hassle to me.

Yeah, I've come to start thinking along those lines as well more recently; in the past I was mainly doing it to fill parameters, which isn't the best reason to begin with, and "more compact" > "extra little line o' stuff" anyway.

Dashbot said:
The thing about the new variable is that it makes the description only about the character/thing/whatever in the file only, the game is already defined, it also automatically adds the category.
It's always better to do categories manually rather than through templates: it makes more transparency. There's no good reason to not have the game in question being part of the description. Also, having the game over on the right hand in the design looks weird imo: better to keep all the info left-justified and in the lighter pink rather than the smothering red.

Alright, but shouldn't we start using the new feature fast? TrickyMario7654 -like all other new users- is uploading images without formatting the aboutfile template.. It makes me nervous when I see that they don't read the few rules above the uploading page DIRECTLY.

First I was about to put the game in the Description, but the aboutfile template page says:
2 is the source, such as an external link to where you originally found the image. If you generated the image yourself, i.e. with a capture card or scanner, you can put the game (or manual, film, etc.) itself as the source. Otherwise, the name of the game should be in the description, rather than the source.
I didn't see the 'can', my fault.

I guess removing the bold part would be a good idea.

I don't think it's a good rule. It should be amended, IMO, to say that YOU took the picture as the source.

Well, I've done it. I've reformatted and removed every image that was detected. The category at the time of this writing is empty. :P

Hey, nice new feature. Doncha just love progress? Perhaps when we all become wiki masterminds sometime in the year 3000 and somethin, we can script a code which does everything for us and we can all sit back and relax. 8)

You're Thirteen said:
Hey, nice new feature. Doncha just love progress? Perhaps when we all become wiki masterminds sometime in the year 3000 and somethin, we can script a code which does everything for us and we can all sit back and relax. 8)

Wikipedia already has ClueBot which reverts vandalism automatically :P

Back