Character tips for ssb/melee/brawl characters you want to be good with?

Zae

Donkey Kong
Banned User
I'm sure people like certain characters out there but they do not know how to become good with them due to how they play, its always been on my mind so lets roll with it.

My question is how to become good with link(melee and brawl). Not toon or young link, but just link.

I've noticed that link doesnt really have good approaches for mid jumping, and i mid jump a lot. So what should i do use more projectiles/dash approaches or what?

Also reconmend stragedy for taking care of oppenonts above? I dont think his up smash is very effective because the first two hits can be gotten out of in a lot of cases, so yeah.

Also snake is a big question on my mind as i have no idea how to play as him.

Well, while I may not play either character in Brawl, I do know their playstyles and their pros and cons. I can't exactly help you with Melee Link though. =P

I do play competitively so I am able to help. :)

But first off let me just put a list of general Smash terminology so that it'll be easier to understand. :p

Nair- Neutral Aerial
Uair- Up aerial
Dair- Down Aerial
Bair- Back aerial
Fair- Forward aerial
Zair- Hookshot aerial

Usmash- Up Smash
Dsmash- Down Smash
Fsmash- Forward Smash

Utilt- Up Tilt
Dtilt- Down Tilt
Ftilt- Forward Tilt
Jab- The "A" attack

Pros
- Heavy (makes him difficult to kill, at least from the top)
- Great range
- Has a good camping game thanks to his projectiles
- Good KO options
- You have the element of surprise since he's rather uncommon

Cons
- Many attacks have terrible lag
- Being heavy also makes him easy to combo/juggle
- Terribad recovery (2nd shortest Double Jump + Poor Mobility + Terrible Up Special) and his recovery is easily screwed over by things like Falco's Lasers, Peach's Turnips, etc.
- Missed attacks are easily punished

Link lacks mobility, so it's best to play campy. Make sure when you pull bombs, you'll be safe (preferably in mid-air, but make sure you don't fail to recover because you pulled one xD). If you're mid-jumping a lot, use Link's tether; it's long range keeps your opponents away from you and gives you some nice, free damage. You can also try to trick your opponent by delaying your Z-air by doing an airdodge, and then pressing the grab button in mid-air.

For opponents in the air, just do an Up Tilt instead. Though it might be better if you set your name tag and edit your controls to make it so Tap Jump is off, so you don't accidentally Jump while trying to do one.
If you already have a bomb in your hand, try throwing it up to bait an airdodge, and then chase them with a Neutral Air or an Up Air. If they get hit by the bomb, that's good because you're still getting damage and you'll probably hit them with whatever you're trying to follow up with.
If you think they'll airdodge into you, trying doing an Up-B on the ground. You'll probably hit them upon landing.

To sum it up though, patience and precision are a must with Link. :)

And if you're wondering what Link's best moves are, I'll say his Z-air, U-Tilt, Bombs and D-Air (I believe it's the strongest D-Air in the game, actually. Very high landing lag, but VERY powerful and has great range.)

Oh boy... Snake. I absolutely hate fighting against him. He has the best camping game, and so you'll pretty much be forced to (dangerously) approach him. He also has some absurb range (thanks Sakurai for forgetting to re-size Snake's hitboxes when re-sizing Snake...) and INSANE KO Power, while being difficult to KO him (I've seen many Snakes live beyond 200% regardless of who they're facing).

He obviously still has his flaws though.

And for the record 1 time at a tourney I had to face Ally in a tourney... The best Snake in the world. Needless to say, I got wrecked LMAO
Pros
- VERY difficult to kill
- Great range
- Best camping game and great ground game
- Has quick & powerful hits and is easy for him to rack up damage (or even unintentionally KO while doing so with Grenades...)
- Good variety of projectiles (you want to avoid use his Side-B though lol)
- Very good defensive game
- Down Throw puts your opponent in a bad situation, especially on platforms

Cons
- Once again, being heavy means easy to juggle
- AWFUL air game
- Poor mobility
- Very laggy Smash attacks
- Easy target when he's recovering (And do NOT get grabbed as shown here, but this video also shows how to survive it)
^Basically what happens if that if you're doing your Up-B but someone grabs you (and they don't throw or pummel you), you still lose your Up-B and your jumps because you haven't landed on the stage/grabbed the edge or entered hitstun

You want to make it hard for your opponent to approach, so being campy is the way to go. Snake does well on stages with platforms (like Battlefield, Lylat, Smashville, etc.) because you have more options to set mines and the explosions have good range (though make sure you don't blow yourself up unless you're recovering and need another Up-B lol). His Tilts are more reliable than his Smashes (though Down Smash should be used to set a trap if you can do safely), and you actually want to try to avoid Smashing unless you're trying to make a hard read on your opponent. Snake's Grenades should definitely be used, and you can throw them high, mid-range, or low. Note that shielding with a Grenade as Snake will make him drop it behind him, so that can also lead to some mind games.

Make sure you know where your C4s (his Down B) and mines are at all times, and again, don't get caught in your own explosion. Another thing to note about his C4 is that if you don't manually blow it up 27 seconds after it's been planted, it WILL blow up on its own. If you're playing with Stock Time, keep your eye on the timer. Also, Grenades explode 4 seconds after you pull one out.

If you're caught in the air, you might want to try a N-air, or a B-air. Compared to his other aerials, these ones aren't too bad. If you're really daring to try to Star KO an opponent, you can go for the Up Air, but most of the time it's just better to wait for them to come to you and Up Tilt them instead. Never challenge your opponent in the air, because you just make it easier for your opponent to hit you.

Snake's best moves, IMO, are F-Tilt (you can choose to have it hit once or twice, mix it up for mind games), U-Tilt, Grenades and his C4. His Jab is pretty good as well, and if you hold A you'll see how minimal the lag is. If you expect your opponent to do a sidestep dodge, you can hold your A button and chances are you'll get them.

Ok so I know this seems like a weird, silly mechanic, but you should take the 4th player port if possible when you're Snake. Simply because if you have a Grenade (whether you're being grabbed, or you're grabbing someone and the grenade is on the ground), if something hits both the grabber and the victim at the same time, they both take damage, but the player with the LOWER port takes KNOCKBACK from the explosion. It can help you rack up damage during your grabs, or save you from being KO'd by a grab.

In Doubles though (when Team Attack is on), the difference can be big. Let's say Player 1 & 4 are on the same team, Player 2 and 3 on the other. Player 4 grabs Player 3, and so Player 1 and can use a Smash attack to KO player 3 (assuming the attack hits them both simultaneously). If Player 1 Grabs Player 2 though, then Player 4 can't attack them with a Smash attack to get the KO on Player 2 and it will harm your teammate in that case.

More interesting thing to note about player ports is that:

1) If you are grabbing at the same time the player with the lower player slot (P1) will grab the other player.

2) If you are Bowser and you klaw suicide, lower player slot (P1) and you win, higher player slot (P4) and you sudden death.
"If you're in Sudden Death, Klawiciding again will cause a 2nd Sudden Death. Klawiciding during that one will win Bowser the match regardless of controller port.
"If you're in Sudden Death, Klawiciding again will cause a 2nd Sudden Death. Klawiciding during that one will win Bowser the match regardless of controller port."

3) Transform advantage - if two players transform at the same time, lower # transforms first.

250px-Snake_Up_Tilt_Disjointed_Hitbox_Brawl.png

5khsup.jpg

Well, this was a ridiculously long post, but I hope this helped you!

hmm well at least link sounds doable.

Not sure about snake though, will probably experiment eventually.

Back