what instrument do you play (and are you any good)

Ultraluigi

doing whatever since 2011
I play trumpet and i'm pretty good, but there isnt lots of air in my house so it's tough to play.
I like piano too, but they're expensive, really

Marcus said:
I play trumpet and i'm pretty good, but there isnt lots of air in my house so it's tough to play.

I played Trumpet but I haven't touched my instrument in a LOONG while

Baby Luigi said:
Marcus said:

I played Trumpet but I haven't touched my instrument in a LOONG while
when i was young i played flute but i hated it, people move on

Bass clarinet.

I'm pretty good considering I don't practice. If I put my mind to it, and if I was interested, I could probably play bass clarinet as a career.

-rolls up sleeves- bass guitar, guitar, drum kit, tenor drums, snare drum, bass drum, piano, ocarina, harmonica, cymbals, and cello

i'm good at everything besides cello, havent played that in years

SpinyMaster said:
-rolls up sleeves- bass guitar, guitar, drum kit, tenor drums, snare drum, bass drum, piano, ocarina, harmonica, cymbals, and cello

i may as well call you the music man, lol
what is it actually like to play the ocarina?

Marcus said:
SpinyMaster said:

its actually really fun! sounds great and is easy to learn. i recommend it

I used to play the clarinet in High School. I don't usually play anymore, but when I do, I do play pretty swell.

1st part 1st chair Alto Sax all throughout school. Haven't played it in years because it's expensive to own one.

Alto sax; haven't played it in a LONG while.

Drums are my main.

I also play guitar and bass from time to time, but I still have a lot more to learn.

I play piano by ear, though I don't really consider myself that good. I have a really bad case of hyper-flexibility in my hands, which makes it near impossible to play properly with both hands.

And I think singing would count, as a lot of people say that the voice is considered an instrument.

trombone.

however, i havent played in years and honestly wasnt that good even when i was playing regularly

SpinyMaster said:
Marcus said:
SpinyMaster said:

its actually really fun! sounds great and is easy to learn. i recommend it

Seconded (though it's been months since I played on a regular basis).

Well...

Flute (closed and open), Piccolo, Alto Flute, Piano, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, French Horn, and Voice (Tenor I-Baritone [Range: E2-A5]).

For Flute, I'm going to college as Flute Principal right now, and I start my Flute Studio lessons and everything next semester. I was 1st chair in our top band in High School my junior and Senior Year, and never below 3rd chair. I have been a part of our Downriver Music Guild those same two years, the Henry Ford Community College Honors Band my sophomore year, and Civic Youth Ensembles of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra my Junior and Senior year as well. I would tell you my chair for Symphonic Band in College, but I will tell you at the re-seating auditions, as I had to be default last chair this previous semester due to the fact I was at Tahquamenon Falls while the auditions were happening, and so I had to miss out on a good seat. However, my soon-to-be private lesson teacher/flute studio head said that "I am definitely not a last chair player". In fact, she has complemented me when I played for her, and she was amazed that I never took private lessons until last october, and was this good. Range: B3-D7

Piccolo I started back in my Sophomore Year, and I didn't get to use it much, but Junior and Senior Year, I really got to use my Piccolo in my HS band and the Civic Youth Ensembles. I don't play it as much now, but it's just like playing a flute, just with a different embouchre and having to deal with the high pitch. It's still a lot of play though, except when you have music where it's like "Derp, high G (G6), and play Piano" and then you're making the best duck-face for a selfie. Range: D4-C7 (in notation), D5-C8 (in sound)

Alto Flute I haven't played much, but just like the piccolo, the fingerings are the same. I have to remember my range for that.

Piano I have always been okay at. I have a keyboard at home that I played as a kid all the time, and throughout High School, I would spend time in the practice rooms using it. I found that the Piano is the best instrument for composing music, as you can hear more than one voice at a time. I also used it to figure out song notes so I can play them on the piano or the flute. I thank the piano for all musically training my ears very well, as it really has made me top notch at the Aural (ear training) part of music. In college, I have to take a piano class (the desks are very fancy keyboards), and so got a 99.7% in that class this past semester and I got really got at using two hands at the same time. Range: A0-C8

Clarinet I learned over the past summer. It's actually not that bad, but it was annoying for a bit. I only know it a bit, but I am still a novice at it. Range unknown. The same applies to Alto Saxophone, which was a few summers ago. And I learned Tenor and Bari from some of my friends while I was learning Alto. F Horn I learned two summers ago, and I still have trouble trying to buzz. Eventually I'll learn.

Voice is an instrument, and a natural one at that. I took Choir and Show Choir my junior year in High School, and we have to sing in Aural Skills for sight singing and stuff. I am blessed with a massive range, as I can go from a low E2 to a high A5 (I can someone hit higher, but it sounds bad). Yes, I have over a three-octave range, which is why my choir teacher said I could be either Tenor I, Tenor II, or Baritone (not bass since there are a few lower notes that I can't hit yet).

And if you guys count composing to be an instrument, I do that as well. :P

I'm blessed with the same privilege as BMB, but I'm a disaster on most instruments, and some of few I can actually play with some skill is the guitar, piano and xylophone, though I can't play any songs on them. I fail to comprehend a whole bunch of things in music though I haven't really tried to out of class, and know very little about it.

We did music and school, so I can play certain songs on the keyboard, but only if I remember them :P

Our high school was even luckier than most: we not only have one orchestra class, but TWO orchestra classes. Not many high schools in my state/US get that privilege. Now, we only have 2 band classes and 3 choirs, but many friends I have from other schools have 3, being concert, symphony, and wind ensemble. At college, it's a whole nother story. And the other music students at college...some of them you're just like "how am I even at the same school as them?" Darn clarinet freshmen in the top ensemble and marching baritone with the phantom regiments, and being really great friends with him. :P

Back