Should the next Mario game be a non-linear '90s-style collectathon?

Chuck Ballymoo

Blooper
Banned User
Should Nintendo take a break from Galaxy and make the next game more in the vein of lets say, a combination of Mario 64 and sunshine? Lots to collect, completely non-linear hub world to go exploring and find lots of secrets?

YES. Definitely yes. I'm sick of the map and choosing the world like in Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros., 3D World, etc.

I've always quite liked linearity and eschewed lengthy explorathons, so I'd naturally prefer if Nintendo stayed the course. However, I wouldn't mind another 64-style open world, just to shake things up once in awhile.

I don't care as long as the levels and worlds are all unique (which is really why I think 3D World is so great)

64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1, I mean, you're playing in the same world finding mutliple stars.

Galaxy 2 had pretty boring levels for the most part and still weren't unique enough from each other.

3D Land was meh.

I do think the reason I like 3D World so much is because is resembles Spyro in more aspects than the other games.

Yes, please. I missed 64/Sunshine style games

New Super Mario said:
I don't care as long as the levels and worlds are all unique (which is really why I think 3D World is so great)

64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1, I mean, you're playing in the same world finding mutliple stars.

> Complains 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy are just stars in the same open world for each level.
> Spyro 2 is just going into an open world for each and collecting the gem-things for each level.

My point is made.

I can't see it happening because of what I've read from Nintendo developer interviews, but I would personally love it because I adore collectathons.

Maybe if games like A Hat in Time are successful then we'll see an emergence of them again.

New Super Mario said:

Galaxy 2 had pretty boring levels for the most part and still weren't unique enough from each other.

3D Land was meh.

I do think the reason I like 3D World so much is because is resembles Spyro in more aspects than the other games.
I understand finding Sunshine kinda 'same-y' because every level was a beach, but Super Mario 64 had a lava world, sand world, ice world, clock world, rainbow world, etc. The worlds are very diverse, like, how can you not consider them unique from one-another?

Unless you mean going around the same world constantly to complete different goals, in which case, I guess, but I always enjoyed that explorative concept because it was no longer a 'level' or 'task to complete,' it was a world that you could run around and get familiarised with.

no, mario should travel back to the '80s and fight crime with david bowie

he should also meet up with the blues brothers, who become playable in place of the mario bros if you gain every star/shine sprite

that would be incentive for me to actually 100% a mario game

I like this kind of game, but I also enjoy the world map style. Galaxy was a combination of both, and it was an amazing turnout.

id like to see something like that in all honesty.

i do like more open games, they dont have to be vastly open like kingdom of amular or skyrim, but ya know exploring is always fun.

Now if that happened with some multiplayer as well, wow.

Back