Pokemon Advice Thread! Javelin's monopoly is no more!

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
Here I resolve to answer any and all questions you may have about Pokemon. How something works, whether I think what you're doing is a good idea, is this Pokemon good at battling, what's my opinion on this Pokemon, etc.

Ask away!

Re: Javelin's Pokemon Advice Thread!

Candice said:
I've totally did this Thread before: http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=15583.msg638857
this thread is infinitely better because it's done my MEEEEEEEE
Candice said:
Anyways, which dragon type Pokémon should I get in Y?
Depends on your tastes.

Dragalge: I can't really recommend Dragalge for any reason other than his typing. He's got nice Special Defense and his movepool isn't too bad, but... he just isn't very impressive.

Tyrantrum: If you're looking for a "SMASH THINGS NOW" Pokemon, Tyrantrum is definitely your choice. He's got high Attack and Defense, combined with an ability that makes biting moves such as Crunch more powerful. Unfortunately, his speed is pretty low and he's weak to a lot of types. But that doesn't matter because HE'S A T-REX SO AWESOME ASDFKAJSDHFLAS

He also gets Rock Polish to boost his 71 base Speed up to 142, which is pretty sweet if you get a chance to set up.

Goodra: A stellar special wall, Goodra also has enough Attack or Sp. Atk to dish out some impressive damage. Dragon-typing is pretty nice defensively and allows Goodra to switch in and tank a lot of attacks.

Unfortunately it's weak to physical attacks, its speed isn't exactly great, and I personally can't stand the design. It looks like a wax candle of Dragonite with the wings melted off and the arms dripping wax. Ugh.

Noivern: Here's a nice Pokemon. It's blindingly fast, has decent Sp. Atk, learns Air Slash, Dragon Pulse, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Focus Blast, Dark Pulse, and the new Normal-type move Boomburst. And I enjoy the design, he's like Crobat crossed with Exploud. Awesome.

Zygarde: He's...okay, I guess. I like the design, but Ground/Dragon has been done before and his stats aren't amazing.

If you're in a Doubles battle though, his move Land's Wrath is nice because it's a slightly weakened Earthquake that doesn't attack allies. Nifty.

I would recommend Noivern, definitely, but it's your call on whether you want a defensive Pokemon (Goodra), a wallbreaker (Tyrantrum), or speedster (Noivern).

Dr. Javelin said:
Candice said:
I've totally did this Thread before: http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=15583.msg638857
Can't disagree with you there.

Wow, that was more information than I expected. Thanks! I'm going to save this link and refer to it if/when I play Y.

I'm glad you asked.

Appearance: Weavile looks like a ninja-y weasel gremlin. The red feathers are a nice touch that keep his design simple and yet interesting, and his claws definitely look cool. The best part, though, is probably his grin - it's simultaneously smug, clever, and relaxed.

Typing: Dark and Ice are two of my favorite types, and it's cool that he has a unique typing. While Ice type leaves him weak to a lot of attacks, it gives him physical Ice STAB (Ice Punch) rivaled only by Mamoswine (whose Icicle Crashes are superior, admittedly).

Battle Technique: Weavile represents the Fragile Speedster type of battling that I personally love. He jumps in, attacks quickly, and jumps out. Unlike basic thieves, speedsters like Weavile are capable of both stealth and fast attack damage. He can also boost his attack to incredible levels with Swords Dance, which then allows him to deal tons of damage with either Night Slash or Ice Punch.

Banjo said:
What should I EV train my Regice in when I bump him up to X/Y?
Full HP and Sp. Atk.

Full HP allows you to serve as an unbreakable special wall (200 base Sp. Def is just ridiculously awesome) while also cushioning physical attacks; full Sp. Atk allows you to dish out some impressive damage with STAB Ice Beam and coverage moves Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon (to take care of pesky fairies).

Regice also gets Thunder Wave if you want to outspeed whoever you're attacking.

Also, you get pro points for using Regice. He's one of my favorite legendaries, mainly because I like his design so much.

Dr. Javelin said:
I'm glad you asked.

Appearance: Weavile looks like a ninja-y weasel gremlin. The red feathers are a nice touch that keep his design simple and yet interesting, and his claws definitely look cool. The best part, though, is probably his grin - it's simultaneously smug, clever, and relaxed.

Typing: Dark and Ice are two of my favorite types, and it's cool that he has a unique typing. While Ice type leaves him weak to a lot of attacks, it gives him physical Ice STAB (Ice Punch) rivaled only by Mamoswine (whose Icicle Crashes are superior, admittedly).

Battle Technique: Weavile represents the Fragile Speedster type of battling that I personally love. He jumps in, attacks quickly, and jumps out. Unlike basic thieves, speedsters like Weavile are capable of both stealth and fast attack damage. He can also boost his attack to incredible levels with Swords Dance, which then allows him to deal tons of damage with either Night Slash or Ice Punch.
Interesting sounding Pokémon. Maybe if I play through Platinum or SoulSilver, I'll see if I can catch one.

Is it a good move to put EVs into a stat that was hindered by a Pokémon's nature to try and remedy it?

Glaceon said:
Is it a good move to put EVs into a stat that was hindered by a Pokémon's nature to try and remedy it?
If you really, really want to use that Pokemon in that way, then yes.

But of course, it would be better to either use that Pokemon in a different role (for example, use it for support instead of offense) or just train another Pokemon with a better nature.

In the case of my Naughty Braixen who has a fair bit of Special Defence already put into it (as well as max Special Attack and some Speed), would you suggest I use a Reset Bag and just max out Special Attack and Speed with Super Training?

Unless you want your Braixen/Delphox to be the best it can be, I wouldn't worry about a Sp. Def down nature.

So yeah, you should just go ahead and max out Sp. Atk and Speed. It'll still be able to attack just the same.

I'd also like to take a moment to say that Braixen had so much going for it until it evolved. Stupid Game Freak.

Thanks, although are you talking about how Delphox picks up the Dark and Ghost weaknesses, loses the Bug resistance and picks up the Fighting and Psychic resistances, all because it got the Psychic type? If so, yeah, that's been bugging me to some extent too.

I'm thinking of monotyping in X/Y. What type would you recommend?

Glaceon said:
Thanks, although are you talking about how Delphox picks up the Dark and Ghost weaknesses, loses the Bug resistance and picks up the Fighting and Psychic resistances, all because it got the Psychic type? If so, yeah, that's been bugging me to some extent too.
No, it's because Delphox looks terrible ingame while Braixen looks awesome.
Dick Clark said:
I'm thinking of monotyping in X/Y. What type would you recommend?
Definitely Ghost.

Ghost type is the new Dragon type: It's only resisted by Dark and Normal, and hits everything else for either super effective or neutral damage. This way, you can also train Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash, the newest and coolest XY mon.

Plus most Ghost types just have a cool design.

Honestly if you're looking for a good Dragon type early game, just get an Axew or Bagon. Seriously, the areas they're found in are practically next to each other and they're before the second gym, which I think is the earliest it's ever been possible to get a Dragon type (probably wrong). Besides, you can't even get Noibat until like after the 7th gym and then again it takes forever finding one because ceiling drops are rare and are mostly Ariados.

I figured he wanted a Gen VI Dragon-type though.

And besides, training Dragons is (in my experience) usually something you do after you beat the Elite Four because they take forever to evolve.

The only problem with Noivern is you can't get a Noibat until quite late into the game. And it's pretty rare, too. I went through Terminus Cave and Victory Road and never saw a Noibat. I had to go back in to try and find one.

(I know you can only find it in those dark patches, I just kept getting other Pokemon from them. And they're hard to just find)

[me=Dr. Javelin]assumes his Pokemon Trainer Cranky Kong persona[/me]

That's the whole point of Dragon Pokemon, numbskull! Back in my day, we had to work to find and catch our Dragon-types.

You whippersnappers ever tried fishing in the Safari Zone for that one Dratini... only for it to run away on you? Yeah. Kids these days have it easy.

Not to mention trying to find Bagon was impossible in Gen III, and finding Gible even harder in Gen IV. Deino may have been easy to find in Gen V, but good luck getting it all the way to level 64! Hah!

And you're complaining about it being hard to find? You don't know what you've got, kiddo.

*still not as bad as getting Milotic in Gen 3/4*

I'm just saying, if you want a dragon-type, the others are easier to get by comparison.

So I'm gonna start with this whole IV and EV business. I've been looking at Pokemon I might like to use.

Blaziken
Blastoise (because Mega Launcher)
Togekiss
Ferrothon

Let's say o were to add to more Pokemon to this team, which should I add? Any particular types you recommend?

Dr. Javelin said:
Candice said:
Candice said:
Anyways, which dragon type Pokémon should I get in Y?
Depends on your tastes.

Dragalge: I can't really recommend Dragalge for any reason other than his typing. He's got nice Special Defense and his movepool isn't too bad, but... he just isn't very impressive.

Tyrantrum: If you're looking for a "SMASH THINGS NOW" Pokemon, Tyrantrum is definitely your choice. He's got high Attack and Defense, combined with an ability that makes biting moves such as Crunch more powerful. Unfortunately, his speed is pretty low and he's weak to a lot of types. But that doesn't matter because HE'S A T-REX SO AWESOME ASDFKAJSDHFLAS

He also gets Rock Polish to boost his 71 base Speed up to 142, which is pretty sweet if you get a chance to set up.

Goodra: A stellar special wall, Goodra also has enough Attack or Sp. Atk to dish out some impressive damage. Dragon-typing is pretty nice defensively and allows Goodra to switch in and tank a lot of attacks.

Unfortunately it's weak to physical attacks, its speed isn't exactly great, and I personally can't stand the design. It looks like a wax candle of Dragonite with the wings melted off and the arms dripping wax. Ugh.

Noivern: Here's a nice Pokemon. It's blindingly fast, has decent Sp. Atk, learns Air Slash, Dragon Pulse, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Focus Blast, Dark Pulse, and the new Normal-type move Boomburst. And I enjoy the design, he's like Crobat crossed with Exploud. Awesome.

Zygarde: He's...okay, I guess. I like the design, but Ground/Dragon has been done before and his stats aren't amazing.

If you're in a Doubles battle though, his move Land's Wrath is nice because it's a slightly weakened Earthquake that doesn't attack allies. Nifty.

I would recommend Noivern, definitely, but it's your call on whether you want a defensive Pokemon (Goodra), a wallbreaker (Tyrantrum), or speedster (Noivern).
Jack i'm pretty sure this video will explain why dragonite is the best choice for a dragon pokemon.

Dr. Javelin said:
[me=Dr. Javelin]assumes his Pokemon Trainer Cranky Kong persona[/me]

That's the whole point of Dragon Pokemon, numbskull! Back in my day, we had to work to find and catch our Dragon-types.

You whippersnappers ever tried fishing in the Safari Zone for that one Dratini... only for it to run away on you? Yeah. Kids these days have it easy.

Not to mention trying to find Bagon was impossible in Gen III, and finding Gible even harder in Gen IV. Deino may have been easy to find in Gen V, but good luck getting it all the way to level 64! Hah!

And you're complaining about it being hard to find? You don't know what you've got, kiddo.
This soooooooooooo much.

Back