Should the Wii Punch-Out get a page ala NBA Street, Starfy... etc?

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
(welp)

The 2009 Punch-Out features Donkey Kong as an opponent in the game's survival mode. It's mentioned on DK's page, but there's no page on the game.

Mariowiki:Coverage has a section on "Guest Appearances" ; games in another series that features a notable amount of Mario content, but not enough to warrant a full set of articles. Some might argue the Mario content in the other "guest appearances" pages is more consequent but tbh, I don't really see a difference between being a fighter in a game where your sole mean of interraction is punching people, and being selectable pcs in a plotless sports game (like NBA Street).

S'yeah, thoughts?

I think calling it a Guest Appearance is more accurate than a mere "cameo", and giving the game a page to reflect that would be fine.

No, DK's appearance in that game was very minor.

He's an fighter in a game where the only thing you do is fight people and, other than lacking an intro slideshow, he's just as fully featured as any other opponent in the game. You didn't really address what I wrote in the OP.

Glowsquid Dude said:
Mariowiki:Coverage has a section on "Guest Appearances" ; games in another series that features a notable amount of Mario content, but not enough to warrant a full set of articles.

Before we do anything, we have to define what exactly is "a notable amount". In the NBA games, Mario, Luigi, and Peach are playable characters (definitely a notable amount) while Donkey Kong is a nonplayable character that is an opponent (less "notable" than three playable Mario characters, but notable enough?). NBA Street has playable Mario characters while Captain Rainbow has Birdo in a major role. Donkey Kong is... just an opponent.

Again "a notable amount" is vague and needs defining.

It's not a reference (as DK's appearance is "the real thing" and cannot be handwaved as being another character that happen to look and act similar), it's not a cameo (as DK plays a role as one of the boxers and has extended interraction with the PC) but it's clearly not a full-on crossover either ; ergo, it's a guest appearance. I don't really see what's hopelessly subjective about that.

or, let's frame it this way: DK's appearance in Punch-Out Wii is a literal "guest appearance".

We have an article on Tetris DS, though I think it's meant to be deleted. Maybe we could do something like Captain Rainbow and only cover Donkey Kong's appearance in the game

Glowsquid said:
It's not a reference (as DK's appearance is "the real thing" and cannot be handwaved as being another character that happen to look and act similar), it's not a cameo (as DK plays a role as one of the boxers and has extended interraction with the PC) but it's clearly not a full-on crossover either ; ergo, it's a guest appearance. I don't really see what's hopelessly subjective about that.

or, let's frame it this way: DK's appearance in Punch-Out Wii is a literal "guest appearance".

It is likely a guest appearance, but is it significant enough to warrant a page of Punch-Out?

Okay, that makes sense to me.

(posting in here since it's the most immediatly relevant thread)

So yeah, the Yoshi's Island DLC for Sonic Lost Worlds. How are we going to cover that?

"A Yoshi Zone inspired by this game [I'm assuming the game is Yoshi's New Island] appears as downloadable content for the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World"?

Mario4Ever said:
"A Yoshi Zone inspired by this game [I'm assuming the game is Yoshi's New Island] appears as downloadable content for the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World"?
Yes.

I think we should just simply create a page for the zone area, and have "Sonic Lost World" be redirected there.

NES Remix has a page, and I'm guessing that only the Mario related 'remixes' should get articles.

Duskull said:
NES Remix has a page, and I'm guessing that only the Mario related 'remixes' should get articles.

Correct

But I don't think they should deserve their own articles. This game is basically a remix of the original so all game info can fit in this page without any extra pages.

buhmp lol general discussion

Yeah I'm all for a Punch-Out!! article as well, so long as we treat it like a guest appearance for the reasons mentioned above. We could also include the intro poster for Little Mac in Smash Bros. as a nice trivia point or in the gallery or something.

alright so the article has been created, deleted, restored, etc, and it definitely needs expansion. I don't own the game so I can't contribute as much as I hoped to. :P

also, Punch Out (Wii) technically isn't the official name, it's Punch-Out!! (Wii). Shame I can't move it since it's caught by a blacklist.

Back