Removing refs to the Super Mario Daijiten?

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
Several pages about obscure enemies, especially those in the Wario Land series, use a now-defunct Japanese fansite called the "Super Mario Daijiten (Big Dictionary)" (Wayback archive link) as a source for the name. I see two problems with this:

1: It's dead and seemingly most of the content was not cached by the Wayback archive.

2: It's a fansite. One that was found to be correct on obscure things, but assuming it's/was correct for everything is a rather big leap of logic. Messaging the guy to see where he got the names might be a solution, but I didn't find any contact method in my (cursory) exploration of the Wayback archive link, and someone pointed out to me the e-mail might be unusable if it was a free adress provided by the web host.

In the advent that there's a consensus on the site not being an acceptable source, should we move some of the weirder/impenetrably-named pages to easier-to-type English names? If the names are not guaranteed to be official, might as well go for comprehensible.

Which names/games/areas are some of the more questionable titles found?

Once I get time, I'll go through and double check all of the Wario Land 4 enemy names: I own three different official game guides which contain the enemy names and bosses.

As a collector, I'm more than happy to purchase the guides for the remaining games as they become available online, and double check all references to the Super Mario Daijiten. Hopefully it will clear up any doubt.

For the WL1 enemies, Grandy02 apparently got his sources from three sites. The Japanese Wikipedia, the SMB Dictionary, and the Gamehiker wiki all corroborated with each other, so we changed the names.

Also, I wanna ask something slightly relevant about some WL4 enemies. A while back, there was a user that started moving a bunch of articles with conjectural/foreign names into what he called "official" names, though he never provided a source. What became of that? A cursory glance shows me that his names are still being used as redirects, so... did we acknowledge that his names are official?

Terriermon said:
Also, I wanna ask something slightly relevant about some WL4 enemies. A while back, there was a user that started moving a bunch of articles with conjectural/foreign names into what he called "official" names, though he never provided a source. What became of that? A cursory glance shows me that his names are still being used as redirects, so... did we acknowledge that his names are official?
...That was me wasn't it?

I believe I saw the names in a (now in retrospect, unofficial) internet walkthrough sometime in early 2012. These days, looking back on it I doubt they were official at all... there's still so much I want to do for that article and now this cleanup is one of them.

Shokora said:
Terriermon said:
...That was me wasn't it?

I believe I saw the names in a (now in retrospect, unofficial) internet walkthrough sometime in early 2012. These days, looking back on it I doubt they were official at all... there's still so much I want to do for that article and now this cleanup is one of them.
No, no, no, this was way before you came here, I believe. Mecha-Boss-Unit is the one that caused the whole debacle.

Terriermon said:
No, no, no, this was way before you came here, I believe. Mecha-Boss-Unit is the one that caused the whole debacle.
Oh, my mistake. I thought there could have been a chance that it was me cause I messed up myself on occasions.

Shokora said:
Terriermon said:
Oh, my mistake. I thought there could have been a chance that it was me cause I messed up myself on occasions.
That's still something that's relevant, though: why are Dee, Bouncer, and Circle Face all redirects to Marumen, among many other articles? Did we simply forget to delete the redirects? Are we unsure of whether or not they're official names?

Terriermon said:
That's still something that's relevant, though: why are Dee, Bouncer, and Circle Face all redirects to Marumen, among many other articles? Did we simply forget to delete the redirects? Are we unsure of whether or not they're official names?
"Circle Face" is the literal translation, I believe. "Bouncer" was the original conjectural title, and "Dee", looking at page history logs supposedly came from some English game guide that I can't seem to find any proof of existence. I think all but the "Circle Face" redirect can be deleted there. As for other articles, I'd imagine it being case by case. Though from memory some of the English names were literal translations.

^Yeah, leaving only Circle Face sounds good. Conjectural titles might be worth keeping for a little as folks might be used to them and get lost without the redirects, but after they've been fazed out for long enough, it's a safe bet to clear 'em out, I'd recon (unless the name's still used elsewhere on the Internet, then it'd be smartest just to leave them to ensure everyone can find what they're looking for).

Case-by-case is also the way to go, I think - just to make sure we don't accidentally toss out any valid names along with the unverifiable Daijiten (speaking of which, I wonder where that side in turn even got its info...).

Shokora said:
Once I get time, I'll go through and double check all of the Wario Land 4 enemy names: I own three different official game guides which contain the enemy names and bosses.

As a collector, I'm more than happy to purchase the guides for the remaining games as they become available online, and double check all references to the Super Mario Daijiten. Hopefully it will clear up any doubt.
Japanese guides ftw. And of course, I'd be happy to translate any more stuff and try to pick out names from text and whatnot, like with WL4.

Dohh... I caught Glowsquid looking at this topic on WhosOnline a few days ago, and it completely reminded me about what I was meant to do, sorry about the delay.

So I dug up two of my official Japanese game guides for the game Wario Land 4. There are three different publications, but only two list the enemies seen in the game: the "Shogakukan" and "Enterbrain" guides. I then sorted through the Wario Land 4 enemies category, comparing the given text from the guide with those on the articles which were referenced by the Super Mario Daijiten. And guess what: the Daijiten was spot on with most of the names! There was only one referenced name which wasn't accurate, and that was on the Togerobo article. I've changed it to the official name, and also went and changed all the Daijiten sources to the more credible Japanese game guide. I've also went and added the Japanese names where applicable.

Also, on an interesting note, articles such as Yurei had two alternate Japanese names. Looking through the guides, the Shogakukan and Enterbrain publications each list it as different names. I've added the correct references for both names, but I thought it was interesting that the Super Mario Daijiten had provided the two alternate official Japanese names for the enemies. It was the same deal with Kaentsubo.

The Super Mario Daijiten, at least for referencing the Wario Land 4 enemies, seemed very accurate in the names it provided. But since the site is now defunct (and few of the pages were cached by the web archive), can the new goal of this thread be to replace all Super Mario Daijiten references with a more credible source (namely these game guides)? I've done Wario Land 4, but I'm fairly confident that other game guides in the Wario Land series may provide other names still referenced by the Daijiten. Once I'm able to get my Pay Pal account sorted, I'll be able to seek to purchase them and hopefully get this topic cleared up.

Awesome!

And yeah, changing the refs sounds like a good idea. In the meantime, the pages can stay where they are with the old Daijiten refs. Innocent until proven guilty, and all that.

Dohh... I caught Glowsquid looking at this topic on WhosOnline a few days ago,

are you stalking me

Anyway, I'm not 100% confortable with citing a dead fansite, but I guess it's the most pain-free option 'till we get better sources. Good luck with purchasing those guides!

Glowsquid said:
Dohh... I caught Glowsquid looking at this topic on WhosOnline a few days ago,

are you stalking me
Oh, no no... you aren't worth stalking, Glowsquid. You use cheap aftershave, eat between meals and forget to brush your teeth every now and then, as well as other strange habits. No one would want to want to stalk you.

Glowsquid said:
Anyway, I'm not 100% confortable with citing a dead fansite, but I guess it's the most pain-free option 'till we get better sources. Good luck with purchasing those guides!
The Daijiten references are the best placeholder until they are able to be confirmed (which shouldn't be much of a wait). And thanks!

I did manage to find an alternate Japanese name for Rudy the Clown, which was ジャアクなもの (The Evil Thing)

Back