COLLABORATION: Image replace-a-thon 2010 of 2013 [4.7%; lastupdated 2013 Aug 11]

RAP

Whomp
PROGRESS: 4.7 percent
GOAL: 90% (bronze) 95% (silver) 100% (gold)
(4.7% – last checked 2013 Aug 11; the next checkup is: 2013 Aug 31 - thanks Megadardery once more!)
(2.6% – last checked 2013 Jul 03; the next checkup is: 2013 Jul 30)
(1.8% – last checked 2013 Jun 19; the next checkup is: 2013 June 30 - thanks Megadardery!)

LET THE IMAGE REPLACE-A-THON 2010 OF 2013 BEGIN!

I created a series of image maintenance lists around 2010 08-AUGUST 17 centering my experience on uploading high-quality images by creating strict high standards I set up for myself and for others to follow. I had to scan the whole list of the database (or that's what I remembered) manually, examining all the files one by one, determining whether or not it deserves the highest quality that we can find and provide. Then I had to categorize by game, and what type of scenario the file is in. For instance, most of the common ones are under low-quality, however, there are some images that need specific instructions in order to tackle it correctly.

Unfortunately, it has been lost in time, hidden away in the hard drive for over 2 years. However, just when I was about to transfer a load of goodies and files into a recently purchased external hard drive, I can across a folder full of text file lists on 2013 05-MAY 08. I can't throw away my work on this, it might be useful for next-gen file uploaders that exceed past me; and taking a skim at the new uploads section, I was mighty impressed on a collection of rares uncovered and uploaded.

I have rescanned the lists and removed links that are in the red. Reasons include: deleted, or replaced with a better quality file. Work on transfering the list is done on , and now I'm calling others for potential help. I have set up a wiki version of the discussion there: (click here) (User_talk:RAP/test3), and now created a second version specifically for the forums here.

Currently, I have three users recircuited prior to the launch of this collaboration: L151 (User:L151), YoshiKong (User:YoshiKong), and Turboo (User:Turboo).
Users partipicating include (in order of signing up in the wiki talk page):
QUICK LINKS (to jumpstart working)
DISCUSSION HUBS
Wiki discussion (User_talk:RAP/test3)
Forum discussion

TOOLS
PNG Monster (User:RAP/PNG) - - popularized the act of compressing PNG files in the wiki

SECTIONS

(OTHER) (User_talk:RAP/test3/0#.28OTHER.29)
Donkey Kong (ARCADE) (User_talk:RAP/test3/2#Donkey_Kong_.28ARCADE.29)
Donkey Kong (PLATFORMER) (User_talk:RAP/test3/2#Donkey_Kong_.28PLATFORMER.29)
Donkey Kong (RACING) (User_talk:RAP/test3/2#Donkey_Kong_.28RACING.29)
[wiki=User_talk:RAP/test3/0#Donkey_Kong_.28.5BMEDIA.5D.29]Donkey Kong ([MEDIA])[/wiki]
Mario (2D PLATFORMER > ORIGINAL) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.282D_PLATFORMER_.3E_ORIGINAL.29)
Mario (2D PLATFORMER > NEW) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.282D_PLATFORMER_.3E_NEW.29)
Mario (3D PLATFORMER) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.283D_PLATFORMER.29)
Mario (ARTIST) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28ARTIST.29)
Mario (CROSSOVER) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28CROSSOVER.29)
Mario (EDUTAINMENT) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28EDUTAINMENT.29)

Mario (PARTY) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28PARTY.29)
Mario (PUZZLE) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28PUZZLE.29)
Mario (RPG) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28RPG.29)
Mario (RPG > PAPER) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28RPG_.3E_PAPER.29)
Mario (RPG > MARIO & LUIGI) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28RPG_.3E_MARIO_.26_LUIGI.29)
[wiki=User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28SPORTS_.3E_.5BOTHER.5D.29]Mario (SPORTS > [OTHER])[/wiki]
Mario (SPORTS > BASEBALL) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28SPORTS_.3E_BASEBALL.29)
Mario (SPORTS > GOLF) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28SPORTS_.3E_GOLF.29)
Mario (SPORTS > KART) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28SPORTS_.3E_KART.29)
Mario (SPORTS > SOCCER) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28SPORTS_.3E_SOCCER.29)
Mario (SPORTS > TENNIS) (User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28SPORTS_.3E_TENNIS.29)

[wiki=User_talk:RAP/test3/3#Mario_.28.5BOTHER.5D.29]Mario ([OTHER])[/wiki]
[wiki=User_talk:RAP/test3/0#Mario_.28.5BCHARACTER_SPIN-OFF.5D.29]Mario ([CHARACTER SPIN-OFF])[/wiki]
[wiki=User_talk:RAP/test3/0#Mario_.28.5BMEDIA.5D_.3E_FILM.29]Mario ([MEDIA] > FILM)[/wiki]
[wiki=User_talk:RAP/test3/0#Mario_.28.5BMEDIA.5D_.3E_TELEVISION.29]Mario ([MEDIA] > TELEVISION)[/wiki]
[wiki=User_talk:RAP/test3/0#Mario_.28.5BREFERENCES.5D.29]Mario ([REFERENCES])[/wiki]
Wario (LAND) (User_talk:RAP/test3/1#Wario_.28LAND.29)
Wario (WARE) (User_talk:RAP/test3/1#Wario_.28WARE.29)
[wiki=User_talk:RAP/test3/1#Wario_.28.5BOTHER.5D.29]Wario ([OTHER])[/wiki]
Yoshi (2D) (User_talk:RAP/test3/1#Yoshi_.282D.29)
Yoshi (SPIN-OFF) (User_talk:RAP/test3/1#Yoshi_.28SPIN-OFF.29)
Super Smash Brothers (User_talk:RAP/test3/0#Super_Smash_Brothers)

PREVIOUS PROGRESS RECORDS
01.8 percent - lastupdated 2013 Jun 19 (thanks Megadardery!)
00.9 percent - lastupdated 2013 May 24

PS: I'm back; and currently deciding if I should handle NIWA, my Nintendo Wiki, and MarioWiki at the same time. I'm using MarioWiki as a platform to test my abilities and work around what I got before working on the two former things I mentioned.

PSS: Since I now know there's a wiki discussion board dedicated to making sure the wiki is at it's highest, I can finally drop in potential projects that never got off the ground when it wasn't possible at the time. There might be a image-replace-a-thon 2013 with even stricter standards than before. What that means is that there will be some files that will never reach high-quality status, so don't freak out if there's no possible scanario. Hey, I thought there would never be any high-quality artwork files for Super Mario Strikers, especially the Kritter (a common type of Kremling) (File:Kritter_-_Super_Mario_Strikers.png). I was wrong, and thankful for that.

Re: COLLABORATION: Image replace-a-thon 2010 of 2013

Can I join? I'm good at compressing, cropping, and/or getting better quality quality images.

Go ahead. Go to the talk page (User_talk:RAP/test3) and sign up there. Be sure to tell me what games or series you're going to tackle on in that sign-up list.

I'll help clear "DONKEY KONG (ARCADE), and then maybe some more after that.

I've got access to numerous Nintendo press sites, so I'll hunt for better quality artwork. As for screenshots, I'm focusing on Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga first.

And RAP, did you want to have a list of good image resources, such as resourceful websites for artwork? May I suggest PidgiWiki for one, as we get high-resolution images directly from the source.

@YoshiKong: It's more than that. For the last two years, I've been very occupied on hunting down video game resources not only for NIWA (Nintendo gaming franchises), but also for NintendoWiki (which I'm the creator), and MarioWiki (the first wiki I joined). I have oodles of resources that hasn't been stripped from the bone and utilized into wikis including this one. I wanted to share all of my resources, but the thing is that it's tied to the time spent on working on them. Releasing all of them in the public might compromise my work for potential rivals out there. I need trusted users who are willing to do add content from the resources I have stored untouched.

This sounds like another of wiki collaborations that I had in my mind that wasn't possible back then in 2010. It's because it's so ginormous. It's a potentially large project with a huge undertaking if not controlled properly, especially on this wiki.

Apologizes if this is deviously off-topic, but I got tears of joy hearing you had more access to resources that enable you to upload higher-quality artwork and more info. I tried getting into at least Nintendo of Europe's press site, but it's more restrictive than Nintendo of America's press site. You're definitely a next-gen file uploader - worth passing through my efforts if you keep hitting hard enough.

RAP said:
@YoshiKong: It's more than that. For the last two years, I've been very occupied on hunting down video game resources not only for NIWA (Nintendo gaming franchises), but also for NintendoWiki (which I'm the creator), and MarioWiki (the first wiki I joined). I have oodles of resources that hasn't been stripped from the bone and utilized into wikis including this one. I wanted to share all of my resources, but the thing is that it's tied to the time spent on working on them. Releasing all of them in the public might compromise my work for potential rivals out there. I need trusted users who are willing to do add content from the resources I have stored untouched.
Of course, I perfectly respect that.

RAP said:
This sounds like another of wiki collaborations that I had in my mind that wasn't possible back then in 2010. It's because it's so ginormous. It's a potentially large project with a huge undertaking if not controlled properly, especially on this wiki.
However daunting the large list may seem, I think it's fantastic that you have provided a starting point for us. And we're here to help however we can.

RAP said:
Apologizes if this is deviously off-topic, but I got tears of joy hearing you had more access to resources that enable you to upload higher-quality artwork and more info. I tried getting into at least Nintendo of Europe's press site, but it's more restrictive than Nintendo of America's press site. You're definitely a next-gen file uploader - worth passing through my efforts if you keep hitting hard enough.
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, Nintendo of Europe is a great resource. Nintendo of America's press site, I find to be quite limited when compared with Europe, Australia and even France's site. America hasn't even released the Game & Wario assets yet, even though they are weeks old almost everywhere else...

Hey, I got that Nitpicker art you wanted! That's something to cross out of your checklist. ;)

DKJR_NitSmall.png

EDIT: Can you add me to the list of participants?

I can't decide which discussion hub is better, the wiki or the forums. Due to the collaboration starting out as a tiny seed, I'll be supporting both sides as of now. Adding you.

YoshiKong said:
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, Nintendo of Europe is a great resource. Nintendo of America's press site, I find to be quite limited when compared with Europe, Australia and even France's site. America hasn't even released the Game & Wario assets yet, even though they are weeks old almost everywhere else...
Any luck on accessing to Japan's press site? Tis the homeland of big ol Nintendo.

RAP said:
Any luck on accessing to Japan's press site? Tis the homeland of big ol Nintendo.
Oh gee, I hate to disappoint but no I don't, even though it would be amazingly awesome.

YoshiKong said:
RAP said:
Oh gee, I hate to disappoint but no I don't, even though it would be amazingly awesome.

Also, roadblock #2 - if Nintendo Japan does have a press site, there's the "language barrier" factor to consider as well. If anything, the Nintendo of Europe has us covered for the most part if we're searching for art assets in relation to Mario installments (the recent ones for Wii, DS, 3DS, and Wii U, of course).

You're right: even if we had access, the language barrier would be a problem. And Nintendo Europe indeed has us covered for most assets, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nint. JP had some stuff that wasn't available in our regions, especially Japanese logos and box arts.

i've tried crawling their site for a link to anything resembling a press site and i'm pretty sure it either doesn't exist or is kept extremely under wraps

I recall seeing the old version of the Nintendo of America press site in Archive.org, but it's long gone in the present unfortunately, replaced with the current version of the press site. I have no idea where the link is, it's probably lost in a bunch of Nintendo resource files.

Sorry for the double post. Thinking that not all the files will reach higher quality status, I decided that in order for this collaboration to be consider complete: I set up a goal where it must reach a minimum 90 percent (bronze). The maximum is 100 percent (gold), while the middle is 95 percent (silver). I have manually counted all the files needing to be replaced, with great tools to help accelerate the process.

Code:
===test1===
8+39+13+32+4+1+2+1+6+2+3+3+43+9+1+17+45+44+7+2+58+26+7
= 373
8+39+13+32+4+1+2+1+6+2+3+3+43+9+1+17+45+44+7+2+58+26+7-3-1
= 369

===test2===
3+2+36+9+51+103+1+25+32+31+20+47+3
= 363

3+2+36+9+51+103+1+25+32+31+20+47+3-1-4
= 358

===test3===
1+18+5+8+22+3+16+35+4+48+81+89+103+262+227+3+3+5+1+1+22+53+32+19+1+2+3+7+2+40+76+63+32+21+13+10+26+26+76+6+1+1+2+2+14+6+15+31+1+1+48+74+92+152+11+10+19+10+21+59+18+1+43+7+19+5+34+9+9+49+6+97+22+28+1+4+12+7
= 2406
1+18+5+8+22+3+16+35+4+48+81+89+103+262+227+3+3+5+1+1+22+53+32+19+1+2+3+7+2+40+76+63+32+21+13+10+26+26+76+6+1+1+2+2+14+6+15+31+1+1+48+74+92+152+11+10+19+10+21+59+18+1+43+7+19+5+34+9+9+49+6+97+22+28+1+4+12+7-1-6-1-1-5-1-1-2-1-1
= 2386

Here's we got so far
Test1: 4 / 373 images covered (369 left)
Test2: 5 / 363 images covered (358 left)
Test3: 20 / 2406 images covered (2386 left)

I combined all the numbers together:
Test1, Test2, and Test3: 29 / 3142 images covered (3113 left)

Here is the percentage:
0.9 percent

Oh, by the way: to make sure that I can cross out the entries more efficiently, I recommend uploading them under new filenames. This is also a good opportunity to upload the files in proper filenames. I will check the lists periodically and update the lists, numbers, and percentage twice per month. If not, I recommend that you directly post a message on either here in the forum, or in the wiki (User_talk:RAP/test3). This is to minimize stress to both sides so we can work together more coherently.

The next checkup will be 2013 June 15.

Keep in mind that I still have college in mind, and that the finals are coming up. Feel free to ask any questions or discuss. Have a good one guys.

Let's go for gold.

RAP said:
Oh, by the way: to make sure that I can cross out the entries more efficiently, I recommend uploading them under new filenames. This is also a good opportunity to upload the files in proper filenames. I will check the lists periodically and update the lists, numbers, and percentage twice per month. If not, I recommend that you directly post a message on either here in the forum, or in the wiki (User_talk:RAP/test3). This is to minimize stress to both sides so we can work together more coherently.
So say if we wanted to re-upload a better quality png on top of an older version of the png, then shouldn't we just reupload the old file and rename it, rather than uploading it as a whole new file? There's nothing to lose, as either way we would have to either replace/tag the old file/title for deletion. So each approach is the same amount of effort really. But it's your call.

Oh, I was paying attention to the JPG files; I didn't have PNG in mind. I think if there's a filename that doesn't describe what the image/file is upon looking, it should have a new name to reflect it. For instance, an image of Bowser from Mario Party 9 should be named "MP9_Bowser.<filetype: png or jpg>", not "Bowserwhohooherocks.<filetype>". I didn't know you can rename files without deleting and reuploading them (or maybe I somehow forgot about it). You should tell me what entries to cross out just to be clear.

I might have used <subject>_<title acronym> (first) and <title acronym>_<subject> (then second) interchangeably over the first couple of years of file uploading. I came to the conclusion that the latter one is better because it groups to other images that came from the same game title. Maybe a proposal can solidify this name thingy.

RAP said:
Oh, I was paying attention to the JPG files; I didn't have PNG in mind. I think if there's a filename that doesn't describe what the image/file is upon looking, it should have a new name to reflect it. For instance, an image of Bowser from Mario Party 9 should be named "MP9_Bowser.<filetype: png or jpg>", not "Bowserwhohooherocks.<filetype>". I didn't know you can rename files without deleting and reuploading them (or maybe I somehow forgot about it). You should tell me what entries to cross out just to be clear.
No problem. I second the idea of replacing jpg files for better quality pngs (rather than reuploading as jpg).

RAP said:
I might have used <subject>_<title acronym> (first) and <title acronym>_<subject> (then second) interchangeably over the first couple of years of file uploading. I came to the conclusion that the latter one is better because it groups to other images that came from the same game title. Maybe a proposal can solidify this name thingy.
Actually, there has been a fairly recent proposal about accurate file names.

And by the way, File:NSMBw1.png and File:Snake block.PNG look like they are of decent quality as-is. Was it a mistake listing them, or did you have a particular concern about them?

@YoshiKong:
RE: Files in the list that look fine
Probably a listing mistake. Before I put out the list, I did a check to see which images been dealt with before it was released. I only paid attention to the ones that are in the red. For the Snake Block image, I actually wanted a full sprite of just the Snake Block itself, and it appears someone else covered that. I'm actually not sure what I put that other image in the list.

You can remove both of them instead of crossing them out. I just add a -2 to the tally progress of how many files needing to be dealt with.

RE: Your response to the title acronym proposal concept
Ah, I sorted skimmed through that one previously. Ctrl+F "acronym". It didn't specifically mention implementing acronyms at all. Checking Special:NewFiles, there are files such as File:Super_Mario_Galaxy_2_Flipsville_Chompworks.ogg, File:Box_AU_-_Donkey_Kong_Country_Returns_3D.png, and that don't use acronyms at all and have them blown out.

And looking at the special page, there appears to be a mixed battle between what I said: <subject>_<title acronym> and <title acronym>_<subject>. Even you're making a stance on this, you like the first one. :P I liked the second one better in my opinion. Looks like yet another proposal up my hands.

Apologies for the delayed response. The two files have since been removed from the collaboration.

Ah, I misunderstood your suggestion for a proposal. Looking over your points, if you would like my opinion, a proposal would be good for a recommended standard in regards to file name consistencies. A solid guideline would get demanding to enforce, with the large and frequent amount of files which are uploaded here, and the effort to move those titles which are considered incorrect. My stance is that as long as file names are descriptive and give us an idea of what the image shows, then I don't believe it matters whether we put the acronym before the subject, or the subject before the acronym, or even the full "blown out" name. As long as a filename isn't non-descriptive, confusing or immature, it should be acceptable.

@YoshiKong: Apologies for the delayed response as well.

I suppose implementing recommendations is more manageable than demanding it. The reason that I wanted to enforce it is that I prefer structure and straightforwardness, naming the files to have a quick-to-the-point mentality; usually named officially. There's going to be some rare exceptions such as rare or unknown games, or name of the content that it's conjectural (not officially named) like Angry Star. Of course, focusing on game acronyms, the image categories seem to be doing the job without having to add game acronyms on file names such as Category:Super Paper Mario Images, Category:Super Mario Galaxy 2 Images, and Category:Yoshi Images (not the Yoshi character itself).

I wonder why only image categories for games, and why not expand to character images? Maybe because they have their own gallery pages?

I still have yet to decide how it should be placed. The determining factor is how the files are displayed in a search by default, and the balance between images of the general topic, and files (like say image files of Mario from various games, and image files of Mario Party 5 mini-games); that's going to be the interesting part. I can do the file renaming myself if you guys (referring to the staff) do not mind. I don't want to stress myself over this keeping that in mind.

RAP said:
I suppose implementing recommendations is more manageable than demanding it. The reason that I wanted to enforce it is that I prefer structure and straightforwardness, naming the files to have a quick-to-the-point mentality; usually named officially. There's going to be some rare exceptions such as rare or unknown games, or name of the content that it's conjectural (not officially named) like Angry Star. Of course, focusing on game acronyms, the image categories seem to be doing the job without having to add game acronyms on file names such as Category:Super Paper Mario Images, Category:Super Mario Galaxy 2 Images, and Category:Yoshi Images (not the Yoshi character itself).
Structure and straightforwardness are indeed desirable, but it seems like a lot of work for something which isn't much of a priority. And for unofficially named subjects, I'd make the file names as brief and descriptive as possible.

RAP said:
I wonder why only image categories for games, and why not expand to character images? Maybe because they have their own gallery pages?
That's probably indeed why. And in my opinion, it's more effective to have organized galleries on either their own gallery pages or their respective character articles if there's not a lot of images, rather than have users sifting through very large (or very small) character categories.

RAP said:
I still have yet to decide how it should be placed. The determining factor is how the files are displayed in a search by default, and the balance between images of the general topic, and files (like say image files of Mario from various games, and image files of Mario Party 5 mini-games); that's going to be the interesting part. I can do the file renaming myself if you guys (referring to the staff) do not mind. I don't want to stress myself over this keeping that in mind.
So are you referring to file consistencies amongst the same subject? Sorry, I don't quite follow.

Can I join?

Arranged by stars out of 5 stars
I will try to help with:

New Super Mario Bros.*****
Super Mario 64*****
Super Mario Galaxy 2*****
Mario Party: 1,2,3,5,6,7*****
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis*****
Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door **
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story ***
Mario Hoops 3-on-3 *****