cl: removing the "affiliation" parameter in infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
The affilation parameter is to be removed from character and enemy infoboxes, but the useless thing is plagging over two thousand articles. We could theorically simply remove the parameter directly from the source templates, but that'd still leave the raw text in the articles, and beside, an entry on BJAODN use it.

To reduce the chance of edit conflicts, you can call dibs on one or more set of articles (for example).

I would like to implement that the affiliation part in the template itself is no longer in use without altering the template itself, but I have no knowledge of how to do that.

I would like to implement that the affiliation part in the template itself is

I edited the "syntax" box of Template:Character-infobox t reflect the change.

I can help, which articles can I take?

Pick a set of articles (species or game templates are a good source for those) or just type "affiliation" in the search if you have no idea.

I'm just going down the list of characters and deleting whatever affiliation I see

Done #-B characters. My god, that was torticollis inducing

Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Character-infobox

^Easiest way to find pages with the template.

We could substitute the templates (adding "SUBST:" before "character-infobox") on BJAODN and then remove the whole coding from the templates

I would like to oppose this idea due to we will have to go though them all again.

I tackled a few hundred. Typing "affiliation" in the search bar is a good way to find them.

NSY said:
I would like to oppose this idea due to we will have to go though them all again.
What? No, I mean substituting the BJAODN templates, and then we don't even have to remove the affiliation part of the templates as the formatting wouldn't do anything

Mikan Tsumiki said:
NSY said:
What? No, I mean substituting the BJAODN templates, and then we don't even have to remove the affiliation part of the templates as the formatting wouldn't do anything

Actually, we do still have to remove the affiliation since the raw text is still there.

How about putting the template's source on BJAODN?

Baby Luigi said:
Mikan Tsumiki said:
NSY said:

Actually, we do still have to remove the affiliation since the raw text is still there.
It wouldn't do anything other than just sit there. Wikipedia doesn't do anything with the ratings section they removed from their video game infobox

YoshiKong said:
How about putting the template's source on BJAODN?
That's what substituting does. It automatically puts the source there.

Mikan Tsumiki said:
It wouldn't do anything other than just sit there. Wikipedia doesn't do anything with the ratings section they removed from their video game infobox

Which is why we remove it. There's little reason to leave it there, and it's better to simply remove it if it doesn't serve a purpose.

Baby Luigi said:
Mikan Tsumiki said:

Which is why we remove it. There's little reason to leave it there, and it's better to simply remove it if it doesn't serve a purpose.
You don't shrink the database by deleting it, nor you speed things up.

Yes, but there is little point in having there anyway. And removing that would prevent confusion in the future.

Pretty much. Better removing it than having some newbie potentially confused as to why there's a random chunk of text that doesn't appear on the main page or something.

Glowsquid said:
Pretty much. Better removing it than having some newbie potentially confused as to why there's a random chunk of text that doesn't appear on the main page or something.
So no removing syntax and substituting?

Maybe go around and manually remove all the affiliations from the articles, and once they're all gone except the one on BJAODN, substitute the template on BJAODN to keep its affiliation, and then remove that input from the coding to make sure it's never used again (and to simplify the template's coding: having chunks of nonfunctioning code in a template would be as confusing as in the transposed infoboxes).

Looks like all the affiliations are gone from articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back