2012 NFL Playoffs (Super Bowl: New England Patriots Vs. New York Giants)

Super Bowl: New England Patriots Vs. New York Giants. Who are you rooting for?

• New England Patriots

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • New York Giants

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

SonicMario

Star Spirit
For the Sports fans on the forum. The 2012 NFL Playoffs are starting next weekend. Sure to be some excellent games ahead. This thread will cover all the rounds including the Super Bowl.

On a personal note this is a special playoffs because my home team Lions are in the Playoffs for the first time in a long while. I don't have much hope they'll beat the Saints, especially if the defense plays like they did against the Packers yesterday. Still 10-6 and a Playoff Berth is plenty of progress for a team that was 0-16 3 years ago.

Re: 2012 NFL Playoffs

The Broncos haven't clinched the AFC West yet, so you have a few tentative matchups there.

Anyway, the Broncos a good story right now, and they're probably going to have a lot of the casual support. I personally think that it's either the Packers or Saints with the best chance of going to the Super Bowl out of the NFC.

I'm going against the Bengals definitely. No doubt in my mind about that. although they'll probably lose anyway

Magus said:
The Broncos haven't clinched the AFC West yet, so you have a few tentative matchups there.

Actually they did. Although they lost to the Chiefs. The one team that could of taken their place (The Oakland Raiders) instead lost as well.

Northern Verve said:
Magus said:

Actually they did. Although they lost to the Chiefs. The one team that could of taken their place (The Oakland Raiders) instead lost as well.
Hmm, CBS Sports' playoff interactive graphic hadn't updated since I'd last checked it with that news, but it seems you are right.

Carry on.

Toad2012 said:
Can I choose "none of the above?"

Thanks.

That's not really the point really. But is there a team that's out of the Playoffs that you would be cheering for if they were in it?

So glad the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS didn't make the playoffs :posh:

Lips said:
So glad the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS didn't make the playoffs :posh:

I am too. Until they fire Rex Ryan and stop their trash-talking nonsense I'm never going to like that team.

Northern Verve said:
Toad2012 said:
Can I choose "none of the above?"

Thanks.
But is there a team that's out of the Playoffs that you would be cheering for if they were in it?
If they were in it?

Jets or Colts, definitely.

Fuck the Colts.

Hopefully Luck (or whoever they pick if they don't take him) will be a complete bust.

As for this week, I'd like to see the Lions win, and I don't really care about the Giants-Falcons game. I just hope it's close. I'd also like for Denver and Houston to win.

BTW Ralph, I bet it feels good to finally have a Home Playoff game for your team.

I'm looking forward to this Playoffs since there's really no one in the Playoffs that I hate. If the Lions go down I may prefer that an AFC team wins. But I just don't have a problem with the Packers (Although I'd prefer they not repeat), 49ers, or Saints as say if the Bears or the Jets were in.

I need the 49ers to lose because I'm surrounded by them.

Despite beating them this year, we need to make it farther than they do in the playoffs so I can continue my string of one-upmanship.

Yep. They have a bye this week and will play the lowest remaining seed on the 14th.

Teams:

AFC:
1) New England Patriots
2) Baltimore Ravens
3) Houston Texans
4) Denver Broncos
5) Pittsburgh Steelers
6) Cincinnati Bengals

NFC:
1) Green Bay Packers
2) San Francisco 49ers
3) New Orleans Saints
4) New York Giants
5) Atlanta Falcons
6) Detroit Lions

Games:
(6) Bengals @ (3) Texans, Saturday, January 7 at 4:30 pm EST (TV: NBC)
(6) Lions @ (3) Saints, Saturday, January 7 at 8:00 pm EST (TV: NBC)
(5) Falcons @ (4) Giants, Sunday, January 8 at 1:00 pm EST (TV: FOX)
(5) Steelers @ (4) Broncos, Sunday, January 8 at 4:30 pm EST (TV: CBS)

Next week's games:
Falcons/Giants/Saints @ (2) 49ers, Saturday, January 14 at 4:30 pm EST (TV: FOX)
Bengals/Steelers/Broncos @ (1) Patriots, Saturday, January 14 at 8:00 pm EST (TV: CBS)
Steelers/Broncos/Texans @ (2) Ravens, Sunday, January 15 at 1:00 pm EST (TV: CBS)
Lions/Falcons/Giants @ (1) Packers, Sunday, January 15 at 4:30 pm EST (TV: FOX)

To figure out who plays who in the second round, think of it this way:

The #2 teams (49ers and Ravens) will play the highest remaining seeds in their conferences. If the #3 seed (Texans and Saints) beat the #6 seed (Bengals and Lions), they will play the #3 seed in the second round since they will automatically be the highest remaining seed. If the #6 seed wins, the #2 team will play the winner of the 4/5 game (Falcons-Giants, Steelers-Broncos) since the #6 seed will automatically be the lowest remaining seed.

Likewise, the #1 teams (Packers and Patriots) will play the #6 seed (Bengals and Lions) if they win their games. Should the #3 team win (Texans and Saints), they will play the winner of the 4/5 game (Falcons-Giants, Steelers-Broncos).

Basically, #1 can't play #3 and #2 can't play #6.

So, picks for this weekend?

I really have no clue who will win Texans-Bengals. It all depends on if T.J. Yates (or, if he's not playing well, Jake Delhomme) plays well. Andy Dalton's been consistent for the Bengals. I think the Texans will have to turn the ball very well to win.

I think the Saints will beat the Lions, though Detroit can keep it close if they don't get rattled early in the game.

Falcons-Giants should be a tight game. Atlanta often has trouble on the road, so I'm inclined to pick the Giants.

Steelers-Broncos will probably be a really low-scoring game in which Tebow is under 50% until the fourth. From there, it's a toss-up to see if he can lead a comeback. For Pittsburgh to win, they'll need to score a lot of early points and build up a big lead, and they'll have to do it without Rashard Mendenhall on offense or Ryan Clark on defense.

Picks?

Well in the NFC, as much as I'd like to be a homer and start getting confident in the Lions I think the Saints will win. Though not because I think they can't match the Saints offense because they do have the Quarterback and the Weapons to compete in a shootout even with Drew Brees. I'm concerned about the Defense especially after the Packers game. In order to win the Lions D have to play so well that they make their poor performance in Green Bay look like they let the Packers score all those Touchdowns on purpose. They also have to play very disciplined as I've seen Penalties have screwed the Lions though it doesn't help when the officials have screwed the Lions when it wasn't because of lack of Discipline. Had Schwartz not lost that 2nd challenge I believe Titus Young would of got a touchdown on the overruled call of an incomplete pass and instead of trying to get a Touchdown to win the game that led to the game-ending interception. All Stafford may have needed is to get into Field-Goal Range to win it. (...and now I'm going on a rant on the last game aren't I)

tl;dr The Lions D are going to have to beat my expectations by a long shot for this game to win. So I think the Saints will win.

I think the Steelers will beat the Broncos And Tebow isn't even going to have a chance to attempt his 4th quarter miracle comebacks.

Both the Bengals/Texans and Falcons/Giants are Toss-Ups

Sharks Territory said:
Fuck the Colts.
thank you

Hmmm...I'm not really sure who might make it. As long as the Patriots don't make it to the end I'll be happy.

Northern Verve said:
For the Sports fans on the forum. The 2012 NFL Playoffs are starting next weekend. Sure to be some excellent games ahead. This thread will cover all the rounds including the Super Bowl.

On a personal note this is a special playoffs because my home team Lions are in the Playoffs for the first time in a long while. I don't have much hope they'll beat the Saints, especially if the defense plays like they did against the Packers yesterday. Still 10-6 and a Playoff Berth is plenty of progress for a team that was 0-16 3 years ago.

How dare you like the Lions! They play dirty!

I'm not sure who I want to win. I don't care much for any of these teams, because the Bears aren't playing. STUPID HANIE!!!

NintendoQueen said:
Northern Verve said:

How dare you like the Lions! They play dirty!

I'm not sure who I want to win. I don't care much for any of these teams, because the Bears aren't playing. STUPID HANIE!!!

Please, the Lions play about as dirty as any team in the League. Compared to the Jets, the Lions are Saints (Well not the New Orleans kind but still). And besides, so what? I'd rather have a team that's feared by other teams to cheer for then a laughing stock team that almost never wins like they were from 2001-2009.

Also Stafford, Calvin Johnson, and many more players are very class guys. And Suh is actually a good guy too, even if the media tags him as a dirty player that hunts for Quarterback heads. Though I suppose that Thanksgiving game stomp didn't really help.

@SonicMario---I was just giving you harmless crap for it. I'm not really mad at all. :P Also, I don't know much about the Lions, but the games I have seen them in *which is only a few, mind you* and they were starting fights and yes, I saw that "Thanksgiving" stomp as well. I'm sorry if I said that, but like I said, I have only seen a few games, and I shouldn't speak if I don't know much of what is going on. :rolleyes:

What? A reference to dirty teams that doesnt involve Philadelphia? As a Philadelphia fan, I am shocked and scandalized. We are the dirtiest fans/teams in the world, show some respect. >:[

Back