Mario characters with a personality?! - Fortune Street

Should more Mario games develop the personalities of Mario characters?

• Yes (it would be nice to see more personality from the characters at times)

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • No (it would ruin the general feel of the characters)

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Neutral (does not really matter)

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

Propeller Toad

Dislikes the amount of neglect Toad receives...
The Mario characters are perhaps some of the most beloved characters in video game history; however, one of the most interesting things about this is the fact that we really do not know much about the characters themselves. Very few characters have actually been given an actual personality as it appears to be Nintendo's trait of making most characters silent representatives of the players themselves.

However, the main point of this thread is to show that the Mario characters have actually received quite a bit of personality through the release of the new game Fortune Street. While the characters do not speak with voices, they do speak through quotations and make references to many of the games they have been in or their general traits. They even make different references on the stages they are on (see below). Even the man himself Mario seems to speak full of personality! Here are a few examples I've collected:

Character quotes (on various stages):

*Luigi (on Starship Mario) - "Hey! You know what would look good? A spaceship with MY face on it!”

*Daisy (on Yoshi's Island) - ”Wow! Check out Yoshi’s Island. I totally want to take one of those little guys home with me!”

*Toad (On Alfegard) - "Oh dear! I think I spent too much gold shopping here. Toadsworth will never let me live this down!"

*Bowser Jr. (on Yoshi's Island) - "I'm gonna storm that island down there and make you all my Yoshi minions! Hear that, potential minions?"

*Waluigi (on the Ghost Ship) - "This place is falling apart! Hey, you rotten ship! Don't even THINK about sinking while I'm on board!"

There are also dialogues in which characters interact with each other:

*Yoshi (on Starship Mario) - "Yoshi! Yoshi, Yoshi? (My cookies are missing! Do you know where the went, (Player's name)?)

*Mario (on Starship Mario) - "I'll help you find your cookies, Yoshi - just give me a second to brush these cookie crumbs out of my mustache!"

Those are a few quotes. A list of all the quotes I found (which is many) can be found through this link if you are interested:

:mario: :luigi:http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Quotes_in_Fortune_Street :toad: :peach:

Anyways, I added in a bonus poll as well to see the opinions of the members of this board. I could have put this in the FS thread; however, I felt that this information should be noticed by more users. Also feel free to discuss as well (that is the point of the thread anyways).

For my verdict, in terms of personalities I would like to see more personality from the Mario characters. Some games like the main Mario games do not need personalities; however, I feel that more spin-offs should indeed include personalities as I feel the characters need it to be more differentiated and "feel more fresh" to the players.

Note: This is also the thread to discuss about these quotes in Fortune Street (the poll is not the main subject). Such things as whether you found them interesting or not for your favourite charcters? Anyways, discuss. ;)

Mario does things because he can and wants to, because he's a hero. I don't really need much more character for him.

As for the other characters, they all have a little personality, and that's good enough for me.

Great for the personality of the text. Now all we need is full voice acting

Yes, I like their personality, I think they need a little. Being silent/almost silent isn't always great.

@Baby Luigi

Voice acting would have been perfect for Fortune Street actually. While it is just text, the characters actually show facial emotions and actually have speaking animations (just with no real voices of course).

For example, see this video to see what I mean:

Baby Luigi said:
Great for the personality of the text. Now all we need is full voice acting
This. It was one of my primary complaints with games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Mario Super Sluggers.

I agree with you two that voice acting would be great in some Mario games. :D

That was one of the reasons why I liked Sunshine as it really made the personalities of the characters more apparent and visible. I'd definitely would like to see voice acting return in a future Mario game.

I find it ok, it's just that Mario and Luigi's personalities are WAY off. Luigi seems rather narcissistic and Mario would be more honest as to telling that he really ate Yoshi's cookies.

Absolutely not to full voice acting. As for more personality, it depends on the game. I love the depth the characters are given in certain series (for example, Peach's personality in Super Paper Mario is <3 ), but not in others.

Propeller Toad said:
*Bowser Jr. (on Yoshi's Island) - "I'm gonna storm that island down there and make you all my Yoshi minions! Hear that, potential minions?"

Most awesomely adorable army ever.

Propeller Toad said:
*Daisy (on Yoshi's Island) - ”Wow! Check out Yoshi’s Island. I totally want to take one of those little guys home with me!”
Wow, I'm surprised they actually bothered to reference the Super Mario Bros. movie in one of the games. Not that I'm complaining, though, since I actually happened to enjoy the film. I'm quite pleased, actually.

Pinkie Pie said:
I find it ok, it's just that Mario and Luigi's personalities are WAY off. Luigi seems rather narcissistic and Mario would be more honest as to telling that he really ate Yoshi's cookies.
No one saw this comment? :P.

They never really have showed much personality except for Luigi being a scaredy cat so I can't really agree.

Well, I managed to get even more quotes from the game. This time I managed to get more Luigi quotes as well.

Wait till you hear some of these quotes. :D
http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Quotes_in_Fortune_Street

Here are more samples for Luigi:

*”Ack! One shop left? All I did was take a minute to trim my sideburns… I need to stop doing that!”
*”Who bought up all the shops? Guess I was too busy grooming the ‘stache to pay attention to the game…”
*Taking a day-off: ”I take a quick time-out to trim my mustache, and someone buys up almost all the shops! What gives?”

Ah, Luigi what is with you and your facial hair this time? :P

Here are some more interesting ones from Luigi:

*”Watch out! Green machine coming through!”
*”I only need one more suit… Why can’t I just jump straight there? It’s not cheating!”
*”This is the perfect time for Luigi’s trademark jump! I’ll just leap my way straight back to the bank!”
*”All the shops are gone? That was quick! Someone knows how to use their B-Dash!”
*”Two more suits to go! I wonder if any of them are hidden in blocks. Boing, boing!”

Here are some more from Toad:
*”I’ve only got one suit so far, but I’m not in a rush. You’ve got to take time to smell the Fire Flowers!”
*”I need to power myself up with a promotion! That way, I’ll be able to better defend Princess Peach!”
*”I’d like this to be a friendly, neighborhood-watch kind of district. So if you see any troublemakers, give me a call!”
*”Taking a day off: ”Perhaps I’ll use my vacation time to do a little spring cleaning! Now where did I put that dustpan…”
*”I wish you hadn’t stopped by my shop while it was closed! I don’t want to be known for poor customer service!”

I'll be sure to update this thread with more interesting quotes once I find them. ;)

Oh god, now he's even MORE of a narcissist. Now he just reminds me of Gaston from The Beauty and the Beast. Think about it, both boast on about something hair related on their body. (Except Gaston with his chesthair and Luigi with his mustache.)

There's only one quote where he boasts about his 'stache. the rest are him surprised how quick things are going. So I don't see how something as little as one of many quotes, makes him a narcissist.

LOL, Luigi makes me laugh for some reason. I think his tone sounds a little not like him, I guess.

Luigi also seems to be in the third person territory still.

I knew Luigi was jealous of Mario, that seems in character to complain about not having a Luigi spaceship. But that stuff about facial hair... that's weird. Oh well the other characters seem to be portrayed quite nicely.

Things sure do seem odd with Luigi. However, his personality does change in the games (sometimes he is a coward and other times he's not), so I guess this is one of the exceptions. Though he seems to take pride in his 'stache! :P

I'm going to try looking for more characters soon and their quotes. There are more to come like Wario, Peach, and even more DK quotes I assume. :D

It's not only Luigi though.
Pinkie Pie said:

Mario's a blank slate. We don't know if he's like that or not.

Honestly, I like to imagine Mario has his faults. Being a perfect saint would make him an annoying Marty Stu. Accidentally eating Yoshi's cookies and then trying to cover it up in that way shows he makes mistakes but isn't a real jerk.

Back